Juicy 5 Caliper refilling with fluid - advice?

shefbiker
shefbiker Posts: 255
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I've stripped and rebuilt my juicy 5 calipers and now want to refill them with fluid. What's the best way to do this?

The Avid bleeding instructions explain how to bleed them, but I was wondering whether it's better to part fill with fluid them before I put the new pistons in?

The Avid caliper overhaul instructions don't even mention about refilling them with fluid!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    put together and then follow the bleed instructions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Sorry to threadjack - but I've got what I think is a sticky piston in my Juicy 7's - with the pads removed the piston will move a bit but no where near as much as the good side. A bleed didnt sort it, nor did adding a little fluid to the piston face (although it appeared to help), so I want to take them apart and do it properly. In the Avid instructions, it says to use some kind of air attachment to push the piston out, but is there an easier way? Can you pull them out with pliers without damaging it? If not I fear its a LBS job and dont have one I trust around here atm :( Also the piston itself looks a little worse for wear, can these be bought seperately if I wanted to replace it at the same time, just to be sure?
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • nicklouse
    dont use pliers as they will damage the seal side of the piston.

pistons and seals can be bought to service the calipers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Dave F.
    Dave F. Posts: 41
    nicklouse wrote:
    dont use pliers as they will damage the seal side of the piston.

pistons and seals can be bought to service the calipers.

OK, so how do you get the pistons out?
    For us weekend mechanics a compressed air gun is a bit wishful thinking.

Cheers
    Dave F.
  • nicklouse
    use fluid.

or let someone else do it.