Customs

Sheppy
Sheppy Posts: 140
edited July 2008 in MTB general
I'm off to the USA for a trip soon. I'm thinking of buying some new forks whilst out there if I can find a bargain. Does anyone know what the import duty would be if I spent say 500 dollars? I know (think) you have to pay VAT on it if it is above a certain level.
Has anyone tried this before? The customs website is very confusing :?

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    the best way around it would be to take your bike out and then fit hte new bits while out there then fly back that way they are used and are tax exempt ( i could well be wrong )
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Sheppy
    I did think of that, however, the hassale of taking my bike is just too great. I've got to catch a peak time train to get to the airport and I don't even want to think about the hassale involved in getting it on the train :(

I like your thinking though :wink:

Maybe I could buy nearly new ones if what you say is true though...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if parts 4.7% import tax and then 17.5% on that total. whatever the value.

if a complete bike 15% then the VAT.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Buy them, remove all the packaging and put them in the middle of your suitcase well wrapped.

Post home any receipts via he USPS.

You'll only have to pay the import taxes if you are really unlucky and get caught.

Even if you do get caught and pay the full whack you'll still get a bargain.

I was in Hawaii last year and went wild in a Specialized dealer.....shoes, socks, gloves, jerseys, grips, tyres, cranks and a few other components....around 700 dollars in all.

Followed the advice in my first line and walked straight through customs. Like I said you'd be really unlucky to get caught...and its worth the risk.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Sheppy
    Buy them, remove all the packaging and put them in the middle of your suitcase well wrapped.
    That thought had crossed my mind :wink: Whats the penalty if you are one of the unlucky ones though?

And of course I wouldn't dream of doing it :oops:
  • Bones!!
    Bones!! Posts: 83
    penalty should only be having to cough up the money for the taxes :D

Note I said SHOULD :shock:
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, unless you already know the answer!