Haldon Freeride on a Shockwave

jackmcd
jackmcd Posts: 185
edited July 2008 in MTB general
I noticed a thread the other day about people on cheap mountain bikes on the trails. I ignored it as it sounded like the writings of childish middle class snobs - however...

Went to Haldon Forest at the weekend and going passed the freeride area - saw a bloke on a full suss shockwave with no helmet, gloves or pads about to launch himself over watched by his young son on an appollo (also helmet free).

I made a comment about suicide by bike and he got off the north shore but he and his son started to mess around on the large dirt jumps to the side.

I was horrified - even the people on the family trail all wore helmets. I know people with low incomes have to buy cheap bikes but that really made me despair. I hope they are OK and perhaps I should have done more to stop them...

Comments

• grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Its really up to them if they want to wear helmets or not (though I think the kid should be wearing one really until he can make his own mind up about it).

At my local dirt jumping spot almost no-one wears a helmet (apart from me on the rare occassions I venture down there). Seems pretty daft to me but its up to them.
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    This is exactly what very nearly closed off Delamere and ALL other fc controlled land.
    Bloke showing off in front of his family cased it head first off a dirt jump and died with a broken neck.
    Family then proceeded to try and sue :evil:

I really feel sorry for the family, but if he was stupid enough to try to clear a large double on a halfords special without ever jumping before then it's his own fault!
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    the writings of childish middle class snobs

No one ever believes me at first!!!!

Then again I no longer ride up Haldon for this and other reasons.....the main one being it's not very good!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I blame the makers of these "mtb" bikes for this nonsense. The blurb reads like you can tackle anything on these things. Even Halfrauds, a major high-street retailer sells their £100 specials as super capable off-road machines. And it’s not like trail web-sites warn you that you need a certain level of machine to hit them safely.

Saw quite a sight in Morzine a few days ago. Older dude on Le Shockwave wearing a motorbike helmet wobbling to the start of the Pleney with kid following on a rigid Le Apollo and a motorbike helmet about the same size. Thought “they’re in for a shock” but spotted them an hour or so later headed back for a second go!!
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    If you don't wear a helmet you can't seriously expect to be not at fault if you suffer a head injury, and by attempting a jump you're accepting the risk and the consequences. Its not someone elses fault if you lack common sense.
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless