Reba SL Air Leak

glenwatt
glenwatt Posts: 155
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Firstly I would like to say hello, been browsing a while and got some very useful tips.

I recently got back on my bike after a 15 year lay off and have been commuting into London again, not too bad at my age now (over 40).

I think I may have a problem with some Reba SL forks I bought a week ago.

Overall much better than the previous Judy Cs.

However the negative air pressure seems to be dropping drastically over a very short period. As an example pumped up to 140 psi, then after 25 miles the pressure has dropped to around 30 psi.

Over the same period the postive air pressure has only dopped aorund 10 psi which allowing for removing the pump seems acceptable.

From other peoples experiences would you agree with me that there is a problem that for a week old fork should be covered under warrenty or perhaps be swapped out for another set?

Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
Glen

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sorry just to check. when removing the pump you do not lose any pressure.

the pressure only drops when you attach the empty pump to the shock.

Please run some checks of what the actual pressure drop is. see the post in the MTB FAQ's
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    nicklouse wrote:
    sorry just to check. when removing the pump you do not lose any pressure.

the pressure only drops when you attach the empty pump to the shock.

Please run some checks of what the actual pressure drop is. see the post in the MTB FAQ's

Wow that was quick, thanks for clarifying the pump disconnect does not actually cause a drop.

As per your faq, I can confrim that any immediate reconnection does give consistant results for any drop.

Glen

Glen

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and this constant drop is different to what you see after and during the rides?

if your forks are truly losing the air then sorry but back to the shop with them. It may just be a lose valve core But....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown