Hope Hoops V's Hope Build

donnie murdo
donnie murdo Posts: 986
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
Looking at the Hope Hoops: Hope Pro II hub with DT Swiss 4.2d rims

I can buy a set from Wiggle for £234 but I can get a set of handbuilt wheels using the same spec from Merlin for a tenner more and get a choice of the colour of the hub and spokes. Is there actually any point in buying the factory built Hoops over the handmade set??

ta,

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Hand built wheels are usually a better quality build than factory built wheels.

I have a pair of hand built Mavic x317's on Hope xc hubs, ragged them silly for 4 years, only had to true a tiny wobble out of them once, the factory wheels that I had before needed truing more often.

Merlin are highly recommended wheel builders, I'd go for them.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    I could be wrong but I though hope hoops were hand built? (by Hope)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've had three sets of wheels from merlin, none have needed any work despite being horrifically abused! I'd go with the known quantity for the tenner, and to satisfy your inner tart!
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    The Hope-built ones have less spokes, don't they?
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Sorry, fewer spokes. But lighter because of that, right?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Arent the Hope 2 available in different drillings seperately anyway?
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Hope hoops are hand built by Hope. They also come with 2 spare spokes per wheel and 20mm conversion for the front hub.

I have the 5.1's and after 12 months of riding in south wales and a trip to the alps they are as true as the day I picked them up !! Oh ! ... and I have an over active pie/beer arm and they've stayed true depite my 15st Fat 4rse !! :lol:

Most of my mates now ride them also without a single problem.

The only issue I have with them is the rim is very tight and difficult to get tyres on. I had to dig out my tyre levers after not having used them for years to change the tyres on these rims. But thats a minor issue I can cope with.

I'd only pay the extra if the bling factor is a big issue for you :wink:
  • donnie murdo
    Thanks for the advice,

I would actually prefer more spokes as these will be run on a rigid hardtail so I will be needing them strong. I suppose the biggest advantage I can see with Hope Hoops is availability as I could have these next day as opposed to the 10 days for a pair of bespoke Merlins. but gold hubs are kind of my thing :wink:

Cheers,
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    meh, the lead time normally works out a bit quicker than that...

mine average out at about 5...
  • tjm
    The only issue I have with them is the rim is very tight and difficult to get tyres on. I had to dig out my tyre levers after not having used them for years to change the tyres on these rims. But thats a minor issue I can cope with.

These are DT4.2D rims right?
    There is no way I would describe them as very tight - mine are no different to other rims I have used (Alex and Mavic at the moment). I can fit my pana fire xcs by hand.
    But then the panaracers are a pretty loose fit so if you are used to an undersized rim then maybe that accounts for our different expectations.

On the other hand I have had combinations that I I bent my levers fitting - my daughters carrara with cheepo tyres comes to mind. That is what I call tight :-(
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    Another happy Hope Hoops owner here (Pro II's on DT4.2Ds).
    Can't fault them.

When there are walkers around, just freewheel for a sec and the CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! is far better than any bell.

I've invested in the DT UST conversion kit, but, have yet to try it out. Probably won't convert the rear wheel as it has a massive dent on the rim. I'd have a go at straightening it out, but, fear the rim may split. Despite that, the rim remains as true as a die. It's a nice talking point, though. Sometimes I suspect other MTB'ers don't meet rocks like I do!!
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Mine are DT 5.1's .

Pana are not 2 bad I can just abot fit them by hand but Conti, Maxxis and in particular Mitchelin are tight enough to need leavers. I haven't used them since I was a kid riding a BMX :lol:
  • donnie murdo
    What colour are the spokes on the Hoops in this pic they look silver?!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/hope-pro ... s-zoom.jpg
  • tjm
    hard to tell but they are darker than the nipples so I would guess black.