Fork upgrade travel query

tnwoolley
tnwoolley Posts: 114
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
Howdy bike fans!

My girlfriend wants to upgrade the forks on her Spesh Myka FSR Comp from the current Rockshox Tora 302 SL (100mm travel) to something a little plusher.

My main question is whether you think (or know) if a slightly longer travel fork could be installed? Has anyone out there put a 120mm fork on their Spesh FSR XC?

If she is limited to 100mm what would you recommend? She has her eye on a Fox Float.

All comments welcome!

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    1st check with Spesh that you won't void any warranty/do any damage to the frame if you do go longer.

If you do go longer it will alter the handling of the bike, the steering will become slower.

For 100mm forks I'd either go for Rockshox Reba's (£200+) (I have a pair of Reba race on my Gringo) or Fox Float RLC, which are less prone to brake dive than the Float R (I have '06 130mm float R's on my Orange 5).
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    is the tora coil or air?
  • tnwoolley
    its the coil version. thinking it might be a good idea to go air this time to lose some weight off her ride.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you had the fork set up for her? has it got the correct spring?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    as nick says. Air allows a more precise set up, but coils are plusher.
  • tnwoolley
    Apologies in advance as this isn't supposed to sound sarcastic and hopefully it isn't an overly dumb question but surely a £400 Float will outperform a £150 Tora? otherwise we'd all be aspiring to the latter rather than the former!
  • supersonic
    Not neccesarily. In some areas, maybe, but plushness, no.

Coil forks are simply smoother than air forks, if that is what you want. The Float has more adjustment, lighter, and more controlled damping.