Noise on small chainring??

simon johnson
simon johnson Posts: 1,064
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Just fitted a new chain and cassette, everything apart from the cassette is 9sp Record.

Everything is smooth on the big chainring (52), however, when I shift down to the small chainring (38) I get a horrible racket, it's not constant but resembles the periodic creaking you'd get from riding on a loose/worn BB.

It's apparent whilst running the small chainring with any of the 9 cassette sprockets.

This was not happening before I fitted the new components.

Do I just need to wear it in, if so, why is this not happening on the big chainring?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Simon.
Where\'s me jumper?

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    If the large ring is ok could it be that your small chain ring is too worn for a new chain ?
    Do you use the small ring most, if so you might need to fit a new small ring.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    sounds more likely to be the chain rubbing on the front mech cage ? is it just in certain gears or all the time ?
    Your chainset may have a slight buckle possibly ? I would upend the bike with the brakes on a towel or something soft like the wife's best rug
    :lol:

then spin the cranks whilst running through all the gears. You should be able to pin-point where the sound is coming from You'll probably find the front mech needs adjusting or maybe the chain needs shortening ?
  • simon johnson
    Thanks for the replies, it's definitely not the front mech; I did measure the old chain up against the new one before linking it up, the old chain was about half a link longer, should I try adding/removing a link to the new chain?

The chainset is running straight as far as I can see and the sound is only present when the chain is running under pressure.

I'll keep at it but if you have any other suggestions I'd like to hear them.

Simon.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • peanut
    Thanks for the replies, it's definitely not the front mech; I did measure the old chain up against the new one before linking it up, the old chain was about half a link longer, should I try adding/removing a link to the new chain?
    Simon.
    I shouldn't have thought that that would make any difference to be honest.
    Have you put the chain on the biggest chainwheel and biggest sprocket and checked the overall length of the chain is correct ?dito small ring small sprocket what does your rear mech look like ?

Problems under load are so difficult to find .
    I would be tempted to replace the rear mech with a spare and see if there is ant difference.
    There is only the front and rear mechs crankset ,bottom bracket and chain that could be at fault so try eliminating one thing at a time.Start with replacing your old chain and cassette.

ahh now theres a thought . Have you checked that both the freewheel and the cassette are screwed on tightly ?

last thing that occurred to me . could the chain be rubbing on the back face of the large chainring when its on the small chainring ?
  • simon johnson
    peanut wrote:
    Simon.
    I shouldn't have thought that that would make any difference to be honest.
    Have you put the chain on the biggest chainwheel and biggest sprocket and checked the overall length of the chain is correct ?dito small ring small sprocket what does your rear mech look like ?

Problems under load are so difficult to find .
    I would be tempted to replace the rear mech with a spare and see if there is ant difference.
    There is only the front and rear mechs crankset ,bottom bracket and chain that could be at fault so try eliminating one thing at a time.Start with replacing your old chain and cassette.

ahh now theres a thought . Have you checked that both the freewheel and the cassette are screwed on tightly ?

last thing that occurred to me . could the chain be rubbing on the back face of the large chainring when its on the small chainring ?

It's possible that the chain is rubbing on the large chain ring when under load, it's definitely doing this without load when the chain is on the small chairing and small sprocket- does this mean that the cassette is not on tight enough? Although, I still get the noise when the chain is on the top sprocket (lowest gear).

Also, how do I ascertain the correct chain length? Never done that before; in fact, this whole cassette replacement effort is (obviously) unchartered territory for me.

Thanks again Peanut, it's driving me insane; I even had to abandon my usual Sunday jaunt this morning :cry:, although I was feeling a bit temperamental earlier!

Hopefully I'll save myself a trip to the bike shop tomorrow.

ps, the rear mech, cassette and chain and BB are all brand new (the rear mech a few months old)
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • peanut
    Ah now we have some information that we did not know before !....
    you have also replaced your bottom bracket ! and it also make a noise on the big ring

If I had known this in the first place I would have suggested starting with your bottom bracket.

1. Ok check that the BB axle is the same length as the previous one
    2. Check that it is the right way round if its possible to be reversed
    (I'm not familiar with Record ) .
    3. check that the BB is tight.
    4. check that both your cranks are fitting properly on the axles (assuming they are taper type) ie that the cranks are not creaking on the axles.
    Might pay to make sure that you have cleaned the cranks thoroughly and removed any grease from the tapers and holes before fitting.
    5. Make sure the cranks are done up firmly but not overtightened
    if it is a creaking sound rather than a mechanical rubbing sound it would seem to suggest your BB or cranks are the culpret
  • simon johnson
    peanut wrote:
    Ah now we have some information that we did not know before !....
    you have also replaced your bottom bracket ! and it also make a noise on the big ring

If I had known this in the first place I would have suggested starting with your bottom bracket.

1. Ok check that the BB axle is the same length as the previous one
    2. Check that it is the right way round if its possible to be reversed
    (I'm not familiar with Record ) .
    3. check that the BB is tight.
    4. check that both your cranks are fitting properly on the axles (assuming they are taper type) ie that the cranks are not creaking on the axles.
    Might pay to make sure that you have cleaned the cranks thoroughly and removed any grease from the tapers and holes before fitting.
    5. Make sure the cranks are done up firmly but not overtightened
    if it is a creaking sound rather than a mechanical rubbing sound it would seem to suggest your BB or cranks are the culpret

BB is the same; I've had this for a week and it worked fine with my old chain and cassette (which I replaced this weekend)

I've just removed it and re-fitted it, it's all in snug as it should be.

The offending noise/creak only occurs on the small chainring, the chain is rubbing on the back of the large chainring when running on the smallest sprocket(s).

I'm ready to throw it out the window, I can't see what has happened but I'm sure that the cassette or chain is culpable. Think I'll fit in a visit to the bike shop tomorrow.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If your old chain was 1/2" longer then it was badly worn. Your small chain ring will be worn to fit this by now. The new chain will not run smoothly on it and will make a sort of grating noise as the rollers catch the top of the teeth. New inner ring needed. The outer is bigger and has a different tooth profile so is not affected as much. Probably needs changing as well though or the chain will wear faster.
  • simon johnson
    John.T wrote:
    If your old chain was 1/2" longer then it was badly worn. Your small chain ring will be worn to fit this by now. The new chain will not run smoothly on it and will make a sort of grating noise as the rollers catch the top of the teeth. New inner ring needed. The outer is bigger and has a different tooth profile so is not affected as much. Probably needs changing as well though or the chain will wear faster.

Thanks John,

You're probably right there, I can't see any other reason for this. More £££ to spend!!

I'll take down to the bike shop tomorrow to see what they think.

Thanks for the help.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • GIAS
    GIAS Posts: 1
    John.T wrote:

Thanks John,

You're probably right there, I can't see any other reason for this. More £££ to spend!!

Thanks for the help.

Hi Simon,

I am facing same issue of yours. How did you finally solve the problem?

Cheers,
    Giovanni
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    GIAS wrote:
    John.T wrote:

Thanks John,

Thanks for the help.

Hi Simon,

I am facing same issue of yours. How did you finally solve the problem?

Cheers,
    Giovanni
    Wow! An 8 year grave-dig :shock: :shock: Some sort of record?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Good use of the search function - Chapeau!!!!!!!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!