Snobcycles

Snobcycle
Snobcycle Posts: 4
edited October 2008 in Campaign
Snobcycles

Snobcycles, rhymes with popsicles and they’re almost as cold. You wouldn’t notice them unless you were riding a bicycle yourself. Have you seen them? You wave in passing, and well, they just don’t. They are too intensely focused on their regimen riding their own private Tour de Pants to expend the energy to give you a hand wave, a head nod or even a hello in response. These are usually the guys (mostly) that are outfitted like they’re headed for an invisible finish line. Perhaps my own attire is not up to snuff? Maybe I rush to judgment. Could they all be training for an upcoming event? Perhaps they are simply too devoted to their ride to notice other bikers… excuse me, I meant to say cyclists. Maybe they are only being safety conscious where I must certainly be careless in letting a hand off the handlebars. Am I missing something here? It’s a beautiful day in the countryside, there’s no one else around but us cyclists, and we can’t say hello to each other. I used to jog, and joggers always say “hello” or “how ya doin?” Perhaps I’m just feeling the old sentiment of my Harley riding days. You could always count on a biker (… that’s “biker” not motorcyclist), to give you a friendly wave, for no reason at all if just to acknowledge that life on two wheels in the countryside is a beautiful thing. And you know what, it still is and always will be. I’ll still be waving at you Snobcycles just to let you know that. Have a great ride.

Comments

• System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    It's the same when you're out and about shopping in civvies. I was in the supermarket the other day and saw a guy in the dairy section wearing a similar sweater to me so I gave him a friendly little wave. Nothing in return at all. Just put his head down and carried on his merry way, probably in too much of a hurry to stock up on Dairylea slices. It was almost like he thought to himself "I'm going to put a sweater on today 'cause it's a bit chilly out" but then left the house without making any effort at all to look out for fellow sweater wearers who might want to say a friendly hello. Ignorant sod. I mean, I'm just out doing a bit of shopping and when I see someone who might have a similar taste in clothes I try to be friendly. Us sweater wearers need to stick together. Maybe my shoes or trousers weren't up to standard. I was wearing baggy jeans and skate shoes and he had some kind of Marks and Spencer thing going on. No doubt thought he was better than me.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    I'm with you on this BUT having experienced a nightmare ride yesterday (I nearly didn't make it home - severe bonk!) I can understand now why some people won't utter a word. I'm not suggesting everyone who blanks you is suffering but yesterday I simply wanted to get home. To all the dudes on the A19 between Easingwold and Selby who perhaps waved/ said hello etc ... I can only apologise now.

I am feeling GREAT now, though :lol:
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    I used to commute on a road bike: lots of waves and nods. I trashed that bike so bought a Kaffenback and set it up with flat bars for my commute: no waves from same cyclists. Then I converted said Kaffenback to drops as a winter trainer and continued commuting on it: same cyclists waved again so all was well with the world. I dread to think what it must be like to ride an MTB around.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Last time my SAAB 99 was off the road, I borrowed one of my dads SAAB 96 for use, driving through towns everyone out was looking and waving. Once my car was back on the road only drivers of pre-GM Saabs were waving. Now my car is off the road again I am driving dads Jeep and no one looks, no one waves. Why Not?

The split there is
    SAAB 96, everyone looks because it is old, odd looking and noisy
    SAAB 99, people in old saabs are waving because you are like them
    Jeep, no one notices it, it's normal.

When I am out cycling I will even attempt to greet joggers and walkers, have had a few bemused responses from cyclists who i have waved to while driving, with and without a bike hanging off the back.

The only time i have given up nodding, waving, saying hello was when i was heading in the opposite direction to an MP ride.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Snobcycle wrote:
    Snobcycles

Snobcycles, rhymes with popsicles and they’re almost as cold. You wouldn’t notice them unless you were riding a bicycle yourself. Have you seen them? You wave in passing, and well, they just don’t. They are too intensely focused on their regimen riding their own private Tour de Pants to expend the energy to give you a hand wave, a head nod or even a hello in response. These are usually the guys (mostly) that are outfitted like they’re headed for an invisible finish line. Perhaps my own attire is not up to snuff? Maybe I rush to judgment. Could they all be training for an upcoming event? Perhaps they are simply too devoted to their ride to notice other bikers… excuse me, I meant to say cyclists. Maybe they are only being safety conscious where I must certainly be careless in letting a hand off the handlebars. Am I missing something here? It’s a beautiful day in the countryside, there’s no one else around but us cyclists, and we can’t say hello to each other. I used to jog, and joggers always say “hello” or “how ya doin?” Perhaps I’m just feeling the old sentiment of my Harley riding days. You could always count on a biker (… that’s “biker” not motorcyclist), to give you a friendly wave, for no reason at all if just to acknowledge that life on two wheels in the countryside is a beautiful thing. And you know what, it still is and always will be. I’ll still be waving at you Snobcycles just to let you know that. Have a great ride.

Perhaps you were in England - you generally get a wave/nod in North Wales even if the other guy is descending at 40mph.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    I normally wave at people, they normally wave back. Sometimes they don't.

Does it matter?!

Given the host of issues you get to deal with as a cyclist it never ceases to amaze me how much emotional baggage people seem to carry when it comes to waving. Quite why it brings out such an inferiority complex is beyond me.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    ellieb wrote:
    I normally wave at people, they normally wave back. Sometimes they don't.

Does it matter?!

Given the host of issues you get to deal with as a cyclist it never ceases to amaze me how much emotional baggage people seem to carry when it comes to waving. Quite why it brings out such an inferiority complex is beyond me.

Totally agree - snob seems to have a problem when one does not exist. Get over yourself snob.
  • Snobcycle
    Snobcycle Posts: 4
    All I'm saying is that if you are going out to enjoy a ride, shouldn't you enjoy it fully? I can understand having allot on your mind and riding the stress off and being oblivious to those around you. But it seems to me an overwhelming amount of the population that is "bike chic" or shall I say "into their own look," that is, in proper "cyclist etiquette and attire" are the guys most likely to be the ones into themselves the most. The least likely to acknowldedge the presence of any one else. I mean, if you choose to be out and about on your bike is it so hard to be sociable? Why not stay at home and set up a stationary bike in the garage with mirrors all around you? Or is there something to being seen and being unsociable that I'm missing? I can see the truth of this touches a tender spot in some afterall!
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    I pass a bloke on my way to and from work most mornings and afternoons. I gauge how late i am by at which point i pass him. Unless he's as bad at timekeeping as me, selfish individual. Anyway, it started a few months back and there was no wave, from either me or him, then one morning i bit the bullet and lifted my fingers up in a semi-wave. This has now progressed to a full on hands off the bars wave and a hello! I did think about stopping him one day to find out where he goes and what his name is. For my own idle curiosity. Oh, and he may well be cute under that hat. He rides a mountain bike though so would this be seen as a step too far?
    Hmmm.
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Any particular reason why you've felt the need to generate a new i.d. to start this thread? Just curious.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Perhaps these guys are well into a hard training regime, concentrating on cadence, pace and effort. Waving to every passing bike, could get a bit boring. I add, that I am not one of them, and typically will wave. But, I know from other sports that sometimes you need to zone in.

Finally, cyclists do not come from the same box. Cyclists are just people - grumpy, sociable, mad as hare and normal etc etc.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've come to the conclusion that there are simply some ignorant fucks out there.
    I don't think the reaction you'll get can be judged by the kit they are wearing either. Some people are just civil by nature and, unfortunately, others aren’t. When I got my Allez I didn't have any proper cycling shorts or pocketed jerseys. That didn't matter to the bloke on the high-end Time. I'd get a "morning" or an "alright mate, where you heading?" out of him regardless of my steed or apparel.
    I took this to heart and actively acknowledge any riders I can be they on road bikes, hybrids or MTB’s (treat others as you’d like to be treat etc.).

Don’t take being blanked personally though and certainly don’t let it spoil your ride.

Oh and I think the post regarding the comparison of the shopper wearing a sweater is a load of toss. Regardless of what we might be told/believe, getting dressed up in lycra and heading out at silly o’clock on a morning is still a minority pursuit. If can’t acknowledge your comrades then shame on you.

If I see someone on the drops or tri-bars caning it then fair enough, but far too often the blanks come from someone who’d rather look the other way or conveniently check their gearing just as they pass a fellow roadie.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    ellieb wrote:
    Any particular reason why you've felt the need to generate a new i.d. to start this thread? Just curious.

Given the unpleasantness which my musings on a similar topic raised, I would like to say that ithis aint me. :wink:
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Lagavulin wrote:
    Oh and I think the post regarding the comparison of the shopper wearing a sweater is a load of toss. Regardless of what we might be told/believe, getting dressed up in lycra and heading out at silly o’clock on a morning is still a minority pursuit. If can’t acknowledge your comrades then shame on you.

First off I do acknowledge my fellow cyclists. Everyday in fact. I will always, always say hello to anyone who greets me, though sometimes waves from across the street go unnoticed, not through ignorance or snobbishness, but a need to get where I'm going. And cyclists are outnumbered by cars and pedestrians but let's not pretend that we're a minority in the sense that it's something hardly anyone takes part in. If I was to wave or say hello to everyone I see on a bike in town I'd never have both hands on the bars long enough to dodge the cars and potholes or enough breath to get up the next hill.

As gavintc pointed out, sometimes my enjoyment in cycling comes from hard training, and if I'm grinding up a hill with my heart rate at 90% of max or tucked down trying to beat a PB max speed or even struggling to keep up a decent average speed then looking out for and waving to fellow cyclists isn't high on the agenda. It kind of annoys me that those I don't acknowledge in those situations would come on a forum and judge me to be ignorant or snobby and pour shame on me for enjoying my cycling the way I like. Snobcycles seems to be suggesting that cycling can't be enjoyed any other way than some romantic ideal of pootling around country lanes waving to people or that those who wear lycra, do so not because it's the most comfortable clothing specifically designed for the job, but because of vanity.

Going out on the bike is also a good way to be alone with your thoughts and in those situations I don't want to be burdened with some social responsibility to acknowledge everyone who waves because they think they are in the same 'gang' as me for being on two wheels. I always say hello to anyone I overtake but I don't get an inferiority complex when the acknowledgment isn't returned. I'm aware that some people can be shy, tired or deep in their own thoughts rather than just ignorant snobs.

And I stand by my sweater comment. If you think cyclists are a minority, you haven't seen my sweaters. :wink:
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    For boring reasons, I'm travelling to work by tube this morning. I'm going to make damned sure I wave at each and every fellow tube passenger I see. Afterall, one of them could be Snob, and we wouldn't want the little lamb to get upset, would we?

:roll:
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Lagavulin wrote:
    I've come to the conclusion that there are simply some ignorant fucks out there.
    I don't think the reaction you'll get can be judged by the kit they are wearing either. Some people are just civil by nature and, unfortunately, others aren’t
    +1

One chap really got to my wife yesterday - she waved and said good morning, he completely blanked her - so she shouted "If you were as good as you think you are, you'd be in Paris right now"... :lol:
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    Jesus, not only do I have to worry about psyco drivers but psyco cyclists who are likely to chase me down and attack me if I am too busy to wave :shock:
    Some people clearly need to get a life.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    System wrote:
    Lagavulin wrote:

First off I do acknowledge my fellow cyclists. Everyday in fact. I will always, always say hello to anyone who greets me, though sometimes waves from across the street go unnoticed, not through ignorance or snobbishness, but a need to get where I'm going. And cyclists are outnumbered by cars and pedestrians but let's not pretend that we're a minority in the sense that it's something hardly anyone takes part in. If I was to wave or say hello to everyone I see on a bike in town I'd never have both hands on the bars long enough to dodge the cars and potholes or enough breath to get up the next hill.

As gavintc pointed out, sometimes my enjoyment in cycling comes from hard training, and if I'm grinding up a hill with my heart rate at 90% of max or tucked down trying to beat a PB max speed or even struggling to keep up a decent average speed then looking out for and waving to fellow cyclists isn't high on the agenda. It kind of annoys me that those I don't acknowledge in those situations would come on a forum and judge me to be ignorant or snobby and pour shame on me for enjoying my cycling the way I like. Snobcycles seems to be suggesting that cycling can't be enjoyed any other way than some romantic ideal of pootling around country lanes waving to people or that those who wear lycra, do so not because it's the most comfortable clothing specifically designed for the job, but because of vanity.

Going out on the bike is also a good way to be alone with your thoughts and in those situations I don't want to be burdened with some social responsibility to acknowledge everyone who waves because they think they are in the same 'gang' as me for being on two wheels. I always say hello to anyone I overtake but I don't get an inferiority complex when the acknowledgment isn't returned. I'm aware that some people can be shy, tired or deep in their own thoughts rather than just ignorant snobs.

And I stand by my sweater comment. If you think cyclists are a minority, you haven't seen my sweaters. :wink:

Agreed!
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Snobcycles, I have a few questions for you...

1. Do you wear a helmet ?
    2. Campag or Shimano ?
    3. Do you jump red lights ?
  • cchapman
    cchapman Posts: 545
    Not waving has pleasures of its own. I think pulling up at some lights next to some super-cool messenger style dude and giving them a look of studied contempt is like scratching their fragile ego with a stiff wire brush. I mean you'd have to have a fragile ego to wear spoke cards, wouldn't you?
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    System wrote:
    those who wear lycra, do so not because it's the most comfortable clothing specifically designed for the job, but because of vanity.

That's true for cycling shorts, but as far as cycling jersies go, I think there's definitely an element of vanity in wearing them.

Especially when a nike or reebok skin-tight top will do a better job for half the price (& with none of those logos).
  • Lagavulin
    Oh yes, and then we can sew our own pockets into them. Brilliant. :lol:
  • Ambermile
    Ambermile Posts: 117
    Get a saddle bag :roll:

Arthur :twisted:
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    System wrote:
    those who wear lycra, do so not because it's the most comfortable clothing specifically designed for the job, but because of vanity.

That's true for cycling shorts, but as far as cycling jersies go, I think there's definitely an element of vanity in wearing them.

Especially when a nike or reebok skin-tight top will do a better job for half the price (& with none of those logos).

I wear cycling jerseys because of the rear pockets but I only tend to wear plain jerseys
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Lagavulin
    Ambermile wrote:
    Get a saddle bag :roll:
    My hands-free riding is poor enough without trying to unzip a saddle bag when I fancy a fig roll.
  • Ambermile
    Ambermile Posts: 117
    Wicker shopping basket?

Arthur :twisted:
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • Lagavulin
    :lol:

I'll have a look on Wiggle, CRC, Ribble etc. see what I can find. Should look great on the front of my Izoard. 8)
  • System wrote:

I don't get it. Why is it so 'vain' to wear a cycling team shirt. Do you have to be a premiership footballer to buy and wear a team shirt? So nobody here has one? Nobody here has at least one designer t-shirt with a logo of some sort on it, or jeans or name brand trainers.

Get real people. Folk buy what they buy because they like it and it makes them happy in what they do and how they enjoy their sport and recreation.

I have 'cycle' shirts, I have plain shirts, I have lycra shorts and baggy shorts. I wear what takes my fancy on the day, and what will make me feel happy. I'm not a 'tour wannabe' or even that fit or fast - just a cyclist out to spend my spare time in a way that makes me happy.

Sounds like some inverted snobbery going here, if you ask me (which no-one did, but hey).

And, yes, I almost always give a nod or a wave to other pedal pushers. If they halloo me first, and I see them whilst dodging grids and ruts, I'll acknowledge. If I greet them first and don't get a response, so what - maybe they're focussing, maybe they're avoiding a pot hole, maybe they really are training.

I know one thing though.. I get just as ignored by guys and girls in plain shirts (homemade pockets or not) as guys and girls in 'vanity' shirts.

Books and covers people, books and covers.
    Pablo

If you think life's unfair, think on... If it was fair, all that sh!t that happens to you would be payback for something.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Good post Pablo. Disliking poeple who wear trade team kits, has always struck me as odd. Buying them means you can get an attractive (sometimes) set of kit for less than the price of a pair of assos shorts. Anyway sometimes it's nice to go out and train pretending you are Fabian Cancellara etc. Maybe that makes me sad in some poeple's eyes! But I cycle for fun, being deadly serious is for work etc.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    This is soapbox. We can whinge about what we want. :lol: