Trek 7.5FX vs. Kona Phd ?

ROBIN7
ROBIN7 Posts: 25
edited July 2008 in Commuting chat
Which bike do you think I should buy for commuting and long distance ride?

Comments

• TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    At first glance the £400 differential in price should tell you which is the better bike and that's the Kona. The advertising blurb tells you that, perhaps, the Trek is less focused on speed and a more comfortable ride. I think you are going to have to test both to see which is the better long-term bet for you. I can't make out the capabilties of either for mudguard fitment which is a must on a commuter although RaceBlades will fit if there are no mounts. I would also prefer the 700c x 32 tyres on the Trek.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • johnno_uk
    johnno_uk Posts: 30
    Quick question : why compare the PhD vs the 7.5 ? should compare vs 7.6 or 7.7.

I went through this exercise about 4 months ago. I rode both. Ended up with the 7.6Fx for £650 from LBS.

One big reason was the PhD doesnt have mudgard eyelets !

7.6 was a great bike : I just cruised 25 miles this morning at average just over 15mph and it was great. 7.6 comes with 28m tyres - spec is good enough for commuting and its quite sturdy yet comfortable and doesnt feel like takes much effort to cruise compared to my road bike (a bit more of course).

Similar looking bikes : PhD probably has slightly better spec but its £200 more . If i was paying 900 i'd also look at a Genesis Day03....

cheers