dsmiff
dsmiff Posts: 741
edited August 2008 in Commuting chat

Comments

• karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    shocking story

Matthew parris must be quite pleased with himself today
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    karl j wrote:
    shocking story

Matthew parris must be quite pleased with himself today

That fella is a class c*ck. I'd bet if he mentioned decapitating anyone else the Police would have him for incitement. :roll:
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    In all honesty I doubt that the thugs who strung up the wire and attacked the cyclists were influenced by something that they'd read in The Times.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • downfader
    dondare wrote:
    In all honesty I doubt that the thugs who strung up the wire and attacked the cyclists were influenced by something that they'd read in The Times.

You never know. :lol:
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    downfader wrote:
    dondare wrote:

You never know. :lol:

I think the import of that was they probably can't read.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    Shame on the 26 and 28 year old cyclists who couldn't take the 16 odd year old chavs.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • helz
    helz Posts: 406
    That's right Samwise72, shame on the cyclists for not being armed with planks of wood, they should have known better (?!).
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Shame on the 26 and 28 year old cyclists who couldn't take the 16 odd year old chavs.

the cyclists could probably barely walk with their cycling cleats let alone fight :D
  • Why do they call them PCSOs ?
    Why not NARPs "Not A Real Policeman" :evil:
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    Something to do with Plastic Constable... (but i forget the rest)
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • downfader
    Police Community Support Officer, or ..no I cant, even I'm not that cruel. :lol:
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    :shock: ...I use this cycle track almost every day.
  • NARC: Not A Real Copper :D
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Exactly the same thing happen on a cycle lane in Lancaster a year or two ago - luckily the wire was spotted and removed. But three or so cyclists were attacked for their bikes - one managed to retain his bike but the others lost theirs. They were pushed off their bikes after the wire ploy didn't work. I seem to remember that the cyclists defended themselves as much as they could but were outnumbered. It all happened in the same area - near the notorious Ryelands Estate which backs onto the river Lune & the cycle track that follows it. The police did crack down on it and CCTV cameras were installed in the vicinity. It wasn't just cyclists but various pedestrians were attacked - although they didn't have to worry about the wire. While there are now occasional incidents I haven't heard of anything this bad happening again. I never use cycle paths anyway, but these reports confirm my decision not to.

Generally cycle paths attract rowdy gangs of teenagers and/or drunks/druggies! The cycle lanes in Lancaster have also attracted a flasher before now. Of course you get the normal people but you never notice them!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The Fallowfield loop is known for gangs of kids up to no good - it's a great track, but not to be ridden in the dark etc.

Had the cyclist's given the kids a good kicking, it would be them in trouble, not the kids !
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 173
    This is the thing that gets me...if these places are so well known for children getting up to skullduggery, then why the hell hasnt the fuzz done something about them until now?

Mailman
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    There have been a lot of sex attacks on bike paths in Brisbane over the past few years, while they've arrested someone, it isn't believed that he is the only person doing it.

Problem is the paths are located well away from well trafficked areas. Fine and very pretty and traffic free if your with a group, not so good if your a single woman walking or cycling by yourself.

Noticed the same in the design layout of Milton Keynes when I was there years ago, just didn't feel safe.

I feel safer on the open highway by contrast.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Perhaps these people misread the signs - pycho-paths? (Get it?)

Oh, please yourselves!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.