Music and riding

Bikerbaboon
Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
edited July 2008 in MTB general
i have done some indepth reasurch ( 2 rides :lol: ) in to the affect of music on a highly trained rider and i have found that over 13 miles on my local route when i have a mix of industrial metal on i get round in 1.08 but when i have the best of aerosmith on i slug round in 1.11.

so for the sake of speed all please forsake the soft/clasic rock and get out the metal.

i also think that my new sports tracker on the nokia n95 could well be a curse on me.
Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Comments

• Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    so for the sake of speed all please forsake the soft/clasic rock and get out the metal.

I hear you! :)

Although I haven't had the headphones on for years, whilst riding, a bit of Slayer always used to make the ol' legs go a little faster than Elvis, or Tom Petty did. :lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Bikerbaboon
    im off out with dragon force on sat will see if that helps me down to the 1.07
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Bloody Hell!

You'll be a blur! :lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I think if i had some music on on the trail I would get too into it and crash...

I quite like just hearing the birds and the sound of my tyres rolling over evrything, the clunks when the bike comes back to earth after a jump anyway :D

On the road I often have music on though. Some speed or industrial metal or hard trance seems to be good for speed. Tried some psy trance once but just couldnt keep up with the beat :lol:

dragonforce are an epic band, very trempted to go see them in september (again)
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • tj128
    tj128 Posts: 1
    i dont think i could survive without music atall

you need something on quietly with a good beat to help you get round all the trails but not to loud so you cant hear anything going on arround you. i listen to pritty much anything that sounds good. the only annoying thing is that i only have a 2gb ipod so i cant get all the good songs on there :P :P
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Cycling into work this morning with the mp3 on shuffle and English Civil War by the Clash came on which instantly increased my pedal rate 8) . Musics great for my commute, I wouldn't like to listen when out on the trails though
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I never list to music on a device, I normally just sing along to my own internal soundtrack.
  • johnnyrotten
    johnnyrotten Posts: 216
    Divine Heresy, Fear Factory, Arch Enemy,Caliban, Devildriver. :twisted: These bands WILL make you a faster rider.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Used to use this trick for the walk to school. If running late, put Slayer or Napalm Death in the walkman - I'd automatically walk faster and so get there in time.

Once tried Zappa. Didn't even get near the school that day.
  • love to listen to a bit of rise against on my rides. some awesome beats keep me goin...

on another note....i used to listen to the ghostbusters theme tune when i was lifting weights in the gym, for some reason it always made me wanna lift more :D lmao
  • just thought of a question tho, what headphones do you use?! i'm having difficulty keepin my 'phones in my ears when i ride :(
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Riding on trails may be okay but can I just mention this story if you listen to music while riding along roads or commuting. (Apologies if already mentioned elsewhere).

Steve C
    Steve C
  • very true, if i do ride with music when i'm on the road, i always keep 1 ear free and dont have the music too loud.
  • Liam-rooney
    Liam-rooney Posts: 159
    I listen to Bullet for my valentine, slipknot, machine head, and many more...

it keeps me going.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    NS Holy 2009 :D
    Saving for Full Sus...
  • Bikerbaboon
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    just thought of a question tho, what headphones do you use?! i'm having difficulty keepin my 'phones in my ears when i ride :(

i use the inear skullcandys from hmv they have squishy buds that stik in your ears well at £15 they are not breaing the bank encase you damage them and the sound is ok.... on the most inportant note they do alot of colors so you can match them to your bike/ riding kit/ ipod. :roll:
  • Metal all the time works wonders bit of classic rawk aswell,as for the fones go for some sennheiser in ear ones, they are £30 sheets but worth it,small an comfy and dont interfere with my parachute lid. :twisted: