Triathlon beginnings

WatfordKev
WatfordKev Posts: 120
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
I hope I've posted this in the right place - I wanted some general opinions... a friend has a high level of general fitness, and has entered a short-course tri. Running and swimming are no problem, but they do not own a bike, and are relatively nervous of them. The cycle section of the tri is 20k.

In mind of the above, and also aware that the bike would be used for general leisure / fitness outside this event, I wonder if they might be advised to start with a decent hybrid rather than a road bike. All feedback greatly appreciated!!!
Have a good time. All the time.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    good god no, get a decent road bike, and some tri-bars for the tri-section. If you buy a hybrid you might be happier to begin with but you'll want a roadie in 6months.

The other thing that you'll want are padded shorts.
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    good god no, get a decent road bike, and some tri-bars for the tri-section. If you buy a hybrid you might be happier to begin with but you'll want a roadie in 6months.

The other thing that you'll want are padded shorts.

If it's his/her first time and the race is soon I wouldn't bother with tribars TBH. A decent bike and some specific bike/run training should be enough. Tri bars only really work once you've refined your position IMO. This takes time and patience :)
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity