fully waterproof lightweight jacket

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
ive got 3 rain jackets and only 1 keeps me dry the one what keeps me dry i use for work as its a portwest pvc one but too heavy for long rides, my montane featherlite was useless and my ron hill let the rain through after 10 miles, anyone tried the altura strada, or any other lightweight one to fit in back pocket and completely waterproof for long rides in the rain

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    andy610 wrote:
    ive got 3 rain jackets and only 1 keeps me dry the one what keeps me dry i use for work as its a portwest pvc one but too heavy for long rides, my montane featherlite was useless and my ron hill let the rain through after 10 miles, anyone tried the altura strada, or any other lightweight one to fit in back pocket and completely waterproof for long rides in the rain

Goretex is fully waterproof, so is a bin bag. Neither stops you from getting soaked in sweat though. Closest I've come to finding something that is fully waterproof but is good at "breathing" is eVent. I believe some of the Montane waterproofs are made from this fabric. Montane Feartherlite isn't designed to be fully waterproof it's made from Pertex, which is light but has excellent windproof qualities. It has a water-repellent coating, but this will wear off pretty quickly and is useless once it is saturated.

I think it's more important that you find something that is comfortable to wear, even if you are wet. If you don't sweat at all though, Gore Tex Pac Lite should do the job, if you feel like stumping out for it.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    There really isn't anything that will keep you dry both from the elements and the sweat. One solution is to ride slower but basically you are generating heat which condenses on the inner surface of the jacket - generate less heat,less condensation. really the jkt is there to keep water off but to stop you getting cold. Assos state that their best jkt will only work for 30mins max. I'm of the opinion that a good quality gilet used with armwarmers is probably the best along with the 'rainlegs' to keep your crotch/thighs dry.
    M.Rushton
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    One way or another, if it is raining hard enough, and you are out for any great length of time, then you are going to get wet - Even Gore Tex does not breath fast enough to get rid of sweat if you are working at a reasonable intensity. If it is warm enough, then I find just a gilet is enough - though I know folk who don't even bother with that....
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I use a Altura Strada Race Cape

It has some vents at the back and it is really lightweight. Fits easilly in a single back pocket of my jersey with room for a pump.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Altur ... 360031866/
    cartoon.jpg
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Gore Xenon race jacket is good, although not cheap. Just about fits into a decent size jersey pocket. Depends how much you ride in the rain whether you think the outlay is worth it. Personally, I think it is. Perhaps the fact you have three, none of which work, is a vote for investing in one good one.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You would have thought, 08 and all that, that some manufacturer would have come up with a jacket which actually works.

You can spend three figured amounts of the folding stuff on something which claims to keep you dry but doesn't actually work. Disheartening.
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    On my commute (about an hour each way) iI use a goretex paclite if it's blobbing it down when i set out. Rainwater just bounces off it and i never get too hot even with a backpack on. Otherwise i just stick a thin layer of dryfit clothes on. Your skin's waterproof anyway!
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I like my Altura Crosslite. It's waterproof and seems to breathe quite well. Gets good reviews too. It rolls up small enough to go in a jersey pocket, though I have found it is better with the compression strap I made from a bit of Velcro.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Altur ... 360031865/
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I use a Pearl Izumi jacket I bought last year, kept me warm enough to be bearable (not toasty, would've needed extra layers for that) for an hour in a blustery gale lashing with rain and sleet and only around 3C.

Won't roll up that small though, but could probably get it into one of the cram pack things that hiking stores sell and into the back pocket from there.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....