Front Deraileur Problem

Bossangel
Bossangel Posts: 164
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello there, I have a front deraileur problem, I was wondering if some knowledgable person could point me in the right direction.Its a Shimano Deore with a sticker that says mega on it, i don't know if thats a model or anything. Any way, when its on the middle chain ring and i move the shifter to go to the upper chain ring it doesn't seem to move across enough. I have been on the park tools site and adjusted the screws as the directions show but it seems to make no difference. It clicks away and trys to make the change but it doesn't arrive at destination. However, if i move the shifter and move the chain by hand it will happily stay on the upper chain ring quite merrily and wont even click. Do you think I need a new front deraileur.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The mech hasn't slipped down the seattube slightly? Undo the cable clamp bolt and undo the clamp bolt for the mech and slide it up the seattube. Ideal positioning is 2~3mm higher than the outer chainring. Make sure it is also inline with the chainring too.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    add some tension to the cable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown