Did yesterday unfold as Riis planned?

flattythehurdler
flattythehurdler Posts: 2,314
edited July 2008 in Pro race
Was yaesterday what riis envisaged? I would be really interested to know what everyone thinks about this. Was Sastre the main man all along, or did schleck the elder just run out of steam?
Dan

Comments

• Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    I think that if Sastre was pulled in Frank would have gone - whoever stayed away would have been the man.

Dont know about Riis but I feel that CSC blew away a chance to secure the win for either FS or CS - the tempo ride was not going to blow Evans away, the accelerations however hurt him more. They had him in there sights and let him escape.

Honestly, if Evans wins he deserves it - bloody hard to race against a team of champions on you own.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Was yaesterday what riis envisaged? I would be really interested to know what everyone thinks about this. Was Sastre the main man all along, or did schleck the elder just run out of steam?

IMO, yes. I don't know if either Schleck was the main man all along but given that Frank couldn't move without Cadel shadowing him (and Frank didn't seem to have the "oomph" to get rid of Cadel) and Andy just seems a little, I dunno, "fragile", it makes more sense to go with a proven Tour rider and climber on a stage where it is posible to make significant gains in the last 13km. Perhaps Riis sat the lads down on Tuesday evening and said "Guys, this isn't going to work. I have a cunning plan......."
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I think Frank and Andy should have swapped jerseys at the start of yesterday's stage.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    if it was me my plan would have been to fire the schlecks off from half way making it look like they were breaking, let Evan chase them down, keep the pace up unitl evans gets tired and then fire sastre off once evans hasnt got the legs to chase.
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • It looks like they are going to attack again - I dont think they would if they felt that Carlos had put this out of Cadels reach