Wheel advice.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
A guy at a cycle shop said he can build me some new wheels as my Shimano RS10 wheelset is apparently not very good for long training rides.

But what he proposes is they build me some new wheels for 25 quid.

Here is what it is:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Mavic ... 300004042/

and

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -4500-8906

Now its just going to have normal silver spokes not bladed and close together.

The standard wheels where Shimano RS10 wheelset.

Does it seem worth it??

Thanks
Willz.

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    should be fine - alot of riders on here use the open pro rims.. The hubs are not that bad mate and for 25 beans you cant go wrong. Do you know anyone else who rides his wheels?
    cartoon.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Doobz wrote:
    should be fine - alot of riders on here use the open pro rims.. The hubs are not that bad mate and for 25 beans you cant go wrong. Do you know anyone else who rides his wheels?

Nope I dont, I'm just concerned they will be a downgrade from my current ones since they have plenty more spokes and are not bladed.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    willhub wrote:
    Nope I dont, I'm just concerned they will be a downgrade from my current ones since they have plenty more spokes and are not bladed.

Spoke count and whether or not they are bladed does not necessarily give an indication of quality.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:

Spoke count and whether or not they are bladed does not necessarily give an indication of quality.

Would you say I should go with the new rims? compared to Shimano RS10?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    willhub wrote:
    willhub wrote:

Would you say I should go with the new rims? compared to Shimano RS10?

£25 for a single wheel seems too good to be true. with both the rims and the rear hub indiividually are more expensive than that alone.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    25 for both the front and back, i gone with them, its 32 spoke tho and thats coming from like 20 something so worried about been slowed down as they are a couple hundred grams heavier. I guess it will take a couple of weeks to get up to speed on these as my strength hopefully increases.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    I'd imagine that the £25 is the labour charge ?
  • Anonymous
    Ste_S wrote:
    I'd imagine that the £25 is the labour charge ?

No I get free labour for the first year and I am in a cycling club affiliated with the shop so you get about 10% discount usually on some things.

Apparently they would normaly charge 95 for the rear and 85 for the front but only £25 and I should have them for tommorow.
  • Doobz
    stiffer more spoked wheels might even make you quicker. The Aero stuff is over-rated imo -

I went from a set if factory wheels with bladed spokes to hand built with normal and more spokes. The ride quality is so much better with a pair of well laced hand built wheels
    cartoon.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Thanks Doobz thats made me more confident about my decision. The guy at cycle heaven said it should be better than having shimano wheels that where possibly built somewhere like the middle east where they are mass produced.

Its really confusing though you get told lots of different things by lots of different people, it all leans towards aero dynamic been better but in the TT's you see people with of course Aero bars but have hardly Aero Dynamic bikes.
  • Doobz
    heh yea, I think now days if your only cycling recreationally you don't really need to get sucked into all this aero stuff.

The best thing to do is buy stuff that's going to last and keep you safe on our shitty roads and buying a set of wheels from someone local is awesome because if anything ever goes wrong with them he will know his own build if you know what I mean?

But £25 sounds like an awesome deal.. You should get a few sets and stick em up on ebay :p
    cartoon.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Doobz wrote:
    heh yea, I think now days if your only cycling recreationally you don't really need to get sucked into all this aero stuff.

The best thing to do is buy stuff that's going to last and keep you safe on our shitty roads and buying a set of wheels from someone local is awesome because if anything ever goes wrong with them he will know his own build if you know what I mean?

But £25 sounds like an awesome deal.. You should get a few sets and stick em up on ebay :p

Lol he will only do the one as they know I do heaps of riding, on sunday I did a 163miles over the dales, thats when the spoke snapped on the RS10's lukilly 2 miles from home, I do the odd time trials and when I move to manchester might get into racing but I'll have to get a job so will have money for another set of wheels.
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    Just exactly whats wrong with your RS10's for training rides I would have thought they were fine.
  • Anonymous
    fizz wrote:
    Just exactly whats wrong with your RS10's for training rides I would have thought they were fine.

Dont know, he said for long hard rides they might not be good as I apparently am a big lad and put alot of power through the pedals, but I dont know they seemed fine, I went with the new wheels anyway for 25 quid, hopefully they will be fine.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    RS10s aren't as good as 20s, simple as that. I am not completely surprised you've had a spoke breakage have to say.
  • Anonymous
    RS10s aren't as good as 20s, simple as that. I am not completely surprised you've had a spoke breakage have to say.

So would you say it was a good move to spend 25 quid on some 32spoke wheels that have been built at my lbs?
  • Are you 100% sure it's £25 for two hand built wheels with open pro rims. As someone else has said thats the labour charge surely? Two open pro rims is about £70.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Anonymous
    Are you 100% sure it's £25 for two hand built wheels with open pro rims. As someone else has said thats the labour charge surely? Two open pro rims is about £70.

The guy in the shop said they would normally charge about 95 quid for the rear and 85 for the front or the other way round.

But they have got a new pair of RS10's on warranty and they are keeping those. Its not labour charge, I get free labour for a year as part of my purchase that was the Genesis Aether.

The rims are 28quid each in the shops as far as I can see.

I hope I am happy with them and I hope these open pro rims are decent and not rubbish anyway.
  • Anonymous