inner tubes for use with 50mm deep section aero rims

robbie the roadie
robbie the roadie Posts: 423
edited July 2008 in Workshop
Does anyone know if you can buy inner tubes wuth really long valves for aeor rims. Seems a lot easier than fafing with extension kits.
Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Std tubes are 37mm and longer ones come in sizes upto 80mm, try LBS or CRC, Wiggle etc.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    I've got HED JET 50's and Ribble stock tubes for this. Not easy to get hold of though. I use extensions TBH :)
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Michelin latex long valve are long enough to get the track pump on when using Cosmic Carbons.

Keep the extender in your sdallebag incase of puncture and need to use a std tube though!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Vittoria do long valve tubes.
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    I got some tubes with long valves from............................ Halfords :shock:
  • I use tubes with 80mm valves, Vredestein definitely do them (available from Dotbike) and I think Bontrager might also do some.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Michelin latex long valve are long enough to get the track pump on when using Cosmic Carbons.

Keep the extender in your sdallebag incase of puncture and need to use a std tube though!

Hi there.

I do the opposite... With my cosmic carbons I use short valve tubes, then remove the extender after inflation (and keep it in my pocket).

My theory is, why spoil the aero advantages of a deep section rim and bladed spokes by leaving a big round valve sticking out?

Cheers, Andy
  • alan_sherman
    Andrew,

I thought about that too, but also thought the big round hole wasn't particualrly aero either! Also i didn't like having the valve unscrewed where I couldn't get to it. A mate had his presta valve srew itself up so he couldn't either inflate or deflate it as it was lost in the carbon fairing!

As the latex tubes need to be pumped up every time they are used it is a lot simpler to have access to the valve, also the michelin long valve tubes seem to have the minimum amount of valve extending to allow the track pump to hold on.

Horses for courses I guess
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Andrew,

I thought about that too, but also thought the big round hole wasn't particualrly aero either! Also i didn't like having the valve unscrewed where I couldn't get to it. A mate had his presta valve srew itself up so he couldn't either inflate or deflate it as it was lost in the carbon fairing!

As the latex tubes need to be pumped up every time they are used it is a lot simpler to have access to the valve, also the michelin long valve tubes seem to have the minimum amount of valve extending to allow the track pump to hold on.

Hi there.

I guess you could always tape over the hole, as you would on a disc wheel?

The Mavic extender that comes with Cosmic Carbones is a clever wee thing... If you turn it upside down, the end is just the right size for slipping inside the fairing, gripping onto the knurled end of the presta valve and unscrewing it.

Unfortunately the extender isn't too strong... I managed to snap one while using a mini-pump at the side of the road. I now only use a track pump or co2 with these wheels.

Cheers, Andy

ps Latex tubes... hmm. My tubs have latex inners, I guess most of the really fast tubs do. I've never picked latex tubes for clincher though - do you think the weight/reliability trade off is worth it?
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    Andrew,

Hi there.

I guess you could always tape over the hole, as you would on a disc wheel?

The Mavic extender that comes with Cosmic Carbones is a clever wee thing... If you turn it upside down, the end is just the right size for slipping inside the fairing, gripping onto the knurled end of the presta valve and unscrewing it.

Unfortunately the extender isn't too strong... I managed to snap one while using a mini-pump at the side of the road. I now only use a track pump or co2 with these wheels.

Cheers, Andy

ps Latex tubes... hmm. My tubs have latex inners, I guess most of the really fast tubs do. I've never picked latex tubes for clincher though - do you think the weight/reliability trade off is worth it?

Not in my experience. Latex tubes are no lighter than very light butyl tubes (all about 50g), but IME are (even) more unreliable. And when they puncture they go BANG.

For a TT there must come a point where the lower rolling resistance is worth pocketing if the chances of a puncture are sufficiently slim. For general riding, I say forget it.
  • alan_sherman
    I didn't know that about the mavic extender - thanks for the info!

I ride teh michelin latex tubes which according to weightweenies are light, but not crazy light. i tried some vittoria natural pure latex tubes which were too thin and one never held air (and was returned to Wiggle without a single ride). the Michein ones seem great, and with the vittoria open evo CX tyres give a lovely ride. I had my first puncture the otther day, the tyre is getting thin and it was a flint so fair enough. I patched the latex tube and its been fine since.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    @wildmoustache- I have no experience with them so I will defer to you but I had always heard that latex tubes tended to be _more_ puncture resistant as they had more stretch in them, e.g. an object is more likely to deform them rather than pierce as it would with butyl? I had only avoided them due to the air-loss issues (which TBH would be less of an issue now I have my nice new track pump and tend to check my pressure anyway.)