best budget forks for fat newbie

tamtruk1
tamtruk1 Posts: 191
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
hi all as in my title im a big guy (by that i mean 6,2 and weigh lots!!) my question is this i have a carrera vulcan (alloy frame version)
my first mod will be forks and im after some budget suspension!!
firstly is there a budget fork that will cope with 20 stone plus??
if not what normal forks are there that i can fit with disc mounts as wheels and breaks will be the next job

thanks rob

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    If you are just riding XC then a stronger XC fork such as a Rock Shox Tora will work well. If you are doing jumps or drops wou may want to look at short travel dirt jumping forks such as Marzocchi Dirt Jumpers or Rock SHox Argyles. Beware that if you buy a coil fork you will most likely need to have the spring swapped out for one suited to your weight. With an air fork this is not a problem.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If I were you, I'd go for coil forks and plump for changing the springs, tftuned will do this on purchase. It is just you'll have to run pretty high air pressures, and I'm sure if that is a good thing in the long run. For a vulcan, which IIRC is best suited to 100mm forks your best bet would be a set of argyles, for the bolt through strength, which makes the whole fork a lot stiffer, and will require a new front wheel.

For wheels the build will be more important that the parts beyond a point, I'd go for 719 on pro ii for xc or 721 on proii for jumping with db spokes from merlin.

Brakes, as always hope or formula, for a big lad, i'd go for 180mm up front and 160mm at the back.
  • BlackSpur
    If I were you, I'd go for coil forks and plump for changing the springs, tftuned will do this on purchase. It is just you'll have to run pretty high air pressures, and I'm sure if that is a good thing in the long run. For a vulcan, which IIRC is best suited to 100mm forks your best bet would be a set of argyles, for the bolt through strength, which makes the whole fork a lot stiffer, and will require a new front wheel.

For wheels the build will be more important that the parts beyond a point, I'd go for 719 on pro ii for xc or 721 on proii for jumping with db spokes from merlin.

Brakes, as always hope or formula, for a big lad, i'd go for 180mm up front and 160mm at the back.

I don't think a PUSHed set of Argyles and new front wheel qualifies as "budget" though.
  • tamtruk1
    thanks for the fast responses chaps :o
    i should have said its for xc only no big air for me !!
    also i pref the idea of spring over air for the same reason as stated above bringing the pressure up to compensate for my stature {posh word for fat lol) wont do the seals a easy life!
    also just measured my head stock does a steerer lengh of 225 mm sound right?
    thats from the base of the headstock to the top of the stem.
    or should i just live with what i have got then save up for a better frame and build a ground up bike to cope with my weight??
    sorry forgot to say budget is about £150 ish dont mind if its second hand either
    rob
  • BlackSpur
    It's completely up to you for the upgrade or new bike thing - both ways have advantages. You can swap a spring over yourself, or you LBS will be able to do it. Steerer length completely depends on model/size of bike, but if you buy new forks they'll be fine.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    RS Tora I'd say - coil or air. If you had more money then I'd say air Pikes (wound down to 110mm perhps).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    What about Marz DJ3's?
    Sound a bit daft, but won't they have fairly stiff springs already? Not that expensive too.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If it is just forks for £150 then I'd say toras, you should be able to get the 318 air toras for that much. Made of steel, I'd avoid dj3s (the new ones anyway) as they have become rubbish.
  • abbots_mike
    abbots_mike Posts: 280
    how old is the frame?
    as a mate of mine has a vulcan from a few years back, and while not the ligthest frame around, it is nigh on bulletproof and has survived when we decide to go all silly and do dropoffs and jumps etc.
  • tamtruk1
    how old is the frame?
    as a mate of mine has a vulcan from a few years back, and while not the ligthest frame around, it is nigh on bulletproof and has survived when we decide to go all silly and do dropoffs and jumps etc.

have been thinking about this earlyer and even tho it looks like a new bike i think it is a 01 model!! been in my inlaws garage for well over 6 years [i forgot it was there!!!]
    defo think im going to get all my upgrades on this frame first then get a better frame and swap all the parts over.
    a slightly off topic question is it possable to get a mount kit to put rear disc on a non disc frame?

rob
  • abbots_mike
    http://www.a2zcomponents.com/OLD-web/Adapter/adap01.htm

that should fit, so long as you have flat dropouts on the frame.
  • tamtruk1
    http://www.a2zcomponents.com/OLD-web/Adapter/adap01.htm

that should fit, so long as you have flat dropouts on the frame.

thats the kiddy where do i buy it from??
    rob
  • abbots_mike
    edited July 2008
  • tamtruk1
    your so right ebay is my friend!!
    my watch list is full of bike stuff and im selling 19 items at the moment!!!