German road rage on teh A4 !

King of Spain
King of Spain Posts: 60
edited July 2008 in Commuting chat
Blimey - those of you familiar withthe A4 route into London from Heathrow wil know there's a bike lane semi-permenantly blocked with construction traffic...hence us commuters stick to the safety of teh road and incur regular but casual abuse, such is life on the road in England.
Well then..this morning, tootling in on a 3 lane road with virtually no traffic on it as London schools broke yesterday, I was surprised to be hooted and hooted from behind, then a german campervan puling a trailer pulls up and demands to know in pure Teuton tones why I am not using ze bicycle lane. Afte telling him, then asking him to mind his own business then resorting (sorry all) to expleteives he ducked in behind me and began to take lots of photos....

...no then, can fellow posters assure me that I am NOT breakingHighway Code by cycling when there is a cycle lane available ?
Vielen Dank meine freunde

Comments

  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Yes, we can assure you (and you cant 'break' the Highway Code - it's not of itself the 'law',)
  • Cycle lanes in Germany, or at least the ones I have experienced are fantastic, probably just thought that the same applied here, and that you were nuts for not using them.
    Perhaps he was missing home, and thought your shorts were leaderhosen? hence the photographs :D
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    This should clear it up. This is from the Highway Code, Section61:
    "61
    Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer."

    I always find this is handy to show ignorant motorists. I drive a car, motorbike, and have a couple of bicycles. I make a point of knowing what others' rights are (yes walkers do have rights :roll: , and as far as I can work out horse riders can leave steaming piles of dung in the street) so it's only fair that others know our rights as cyclists on the public roads.

    Rant over.

    PS Don't mention the war... :wink:
    .
    Beep Beep Richie.
    .

    FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Was he taking photos while he was driving?
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Get off and do a Basil Fawlty nazi walk for the camera
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    A German with an attitude, poor understanding of the Law and in a camper van;
    he's going to feel welcome wherever he goes.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I always find these people amusing. I got hooted at yesterday as I was overtaking another cyclist and hence out of the cycle lane and in the main carriageway.

    Needless to say that despite the BMW being quite close behind it took me ages to complete the overtaking and return to the cycle lane :wink:
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    A concentration camper van, maybe?




    sorry :(
    <a>road</a>
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    Wir hatt den kriege gewonnen.

    That always p!sses them off when you say it :D
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Use of cycle lanes is compulsory in some parts of Germany, even when they're blocked by parked cars or covered in snow.
    ___________________________________________
    People need to be told what to do so badly they'll listen to anyone
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Dudu wrote:
    Use of cycle lanes is compulsory in some parts of Germany, even when they're blocked by parked cars or covered in snow.

    on those occasions you are allowed to annex the road
    <a>road</a>
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    To answer your question directly, though i am no solicitor, i feel fairly sure you are not breaking any law. (~And isn't the good ole HC currently being updated to state this ? )

    But the guy taking photo's while driving...
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

    Evening route ,
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Maybe he was just taking schnapps!

    <<<<exits stage left
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    karl j wrote:
    To answer your question directly, though i am no solicitor, i feel fairly sure you are not breaking any law. (~And isn't the good ole HC currently being updated to state this ? )

    But the guy taking photo's while driving...

    Don't worry I'm sure the house lawyer is monitoring this and as soon as he knows what's what he'll enlighten us.

    Spen, Spen where are you? Opinion required.

    :twisted:
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Was he the camper van commandant?

    Schnell Machen Englander! Achtung Arrrrrghhhh Spitfeur!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

    What would Thora Hurd do?
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    The guy was German and in Germany using cycle lanes is mandatory if there's a bike lane sign. He was probably surprised about the fact that you weren't using it.

    Maybe it was as incomprehensible to him as the German traffic rule is to me which says that cars entering a road from the right always have priority (unless there's a sign).

    No need to be offensive about the fact that he was German.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    FrankM wrote:
    No need to be offensive about the fact that he was German.

    They started it!

    <<<<walks away, ashamed
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Blimey - those of you familiar withthe A4 route into London from Heathrow wil know there's a bike lane semi-permenantly blocked with construction traffic...hence us commuters stick to the safety of teh road and incur regular but casual abuse, such is life on the road in England.
    Well then..this morning, tootling in on a 3 lane road with virtually no traffic on it as London schools broke yesterday, I was surprised to be hooted and hooted from behind, then a german campervan puling a trailer pulls up and demands to know in pure Teuton tones why I am not using ze bicycle lane. Afte telling him, then asking him to mind his own business then resorting (sorry all) to expleteives he ducked in behind me and began to take lots of photos....

    ...no then, can fellow posters assure me that I am NOT breakingHighway Code by cycling when there is a cycle lane available ?
    Vielen Dank meine freunde

    Proven in crown court that you dont HAVE to use the cycle lane where its available :-

    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4774

    The latest version of the highway code also makes it clear that use of cycle lanes in NOT compulsory - We have a right to use the road where we see fit - EVEN if we hold up motorists!

    63
    Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

    You were neither breaking the law nor the highway code. They guy was just wrong, as were the police in the case above!
  • iainment wrote:
    karl j wrote:

    Spen, Spen where are you? Opinion required.

    :twisted:

    He's surely gone for a lie down - must've near bust his boiler when he saw this one... :)
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    FrankM wrote:
    The guy was German and in Germany using cycle lanes is mandatory if there's a bike lane sign. He was probably surprised about the fact that you weren't using it.

    Maybe it was as incomprehensible to him as the German traffic rule is to me which says that cars entering a road from the right always have priority (unless there's a sign).

    No need to be offensive about the fact that he was German.

    Seems a little presumptious of him to assume that german law applied over here. Didn't we fight a war about that a few years back?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    They started it!

    <<<<walks away, ashamed

    It hurts
    A4 route into London from Heathrow

    Well that's the problem right there.

    Do not get in the way of a German going east.

    They've been stung before and they're not going to let it happen again.

    Going west is a piece of cake or gateaux as we say in France.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

    What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Thanks all for your informative assistance on this one - as I speed home (wind assisted at a nice 12mph according to metcheck 8) ) tonight on the opposite carriageway I will do so safe in the knowledge that Cycle lane use is not obligatory and that we did indeed win a war against my morning adversary some time back.

    Last question : Can anyone inform me if we have ever in fact won a World Cup also ? :lol:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,756
    Superb, this is a very funny thread :lol:

    I like the fact he was taking pictures, what were the police going to do??

    "An APB has been put out for a man on a bike last seen on the A4"
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • "An APB has been put out for a man on a bike last seen on the A4"

    Truth is I was wearing a UCI world road champions jersey so police may be tricked into arresting Paolo Bettini (should he be riding down the A4 in the next few hours). I'll be safe as my full head of hair and love handles distinguish me from the Italian champ.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    DavidTQ wrote:

    Proven in crown court that you dont HAVE to use the cycle lane where its available :-

    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4774

    The latest version of the highway code also makes it clear that use of cycle lanes in NOT compulsory - We have a right to use the road where we see fit - EVEN if we hold up motorists!

    63
    Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

    You were neither breaking the law nor the highway code. They guy was just wrong, as were the police in the case above!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... w=bb&mp=wm
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    edited July 2008
    If it happens again, tap the side of your nose with an index finger while giving him a 'knowing' smile and ride away singing ... Two World Wars and Two World Cups :twisted:
    Colin N.


    Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    dondare wrote:
    A German with an attitude, poor understanding of the Law and in a camper van;
    he's going to feel welcome wherever he goes.

    German, sounds Austrian to me. :)
  • Shtoppe already viz ze Jermun jokes :D

    Probably a "Tägliche Post" reader :shock:
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30