Time we accept that we're the only ones who care?

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited July 2008 in Campaign
I get a load of c**p from other people (either online or in person, it doesnt matter) whenever I tell them of the near misses, the ludicrous behaviour and anything cycle related. They all accuse me of whinging - to be honest i am, but the simple fact of the matter is that its for a reason.

My encouragement to them to try cycling is met with derision, refusal, excuses, you name it. Anything that would prove my point seems somehow to be invalid. No doubt if i mention my brother's accident tomorrow at work it'll be "Dan's off on one again!" This doesnt stop me trying to get people on bikes, if anything the more anti the person is towards cycling (for whatever reason) the more I seem to push it.

I have started to come to the realisation that we are alone as a group. When ever a driver now complains about a cut up or an overtake I'm going to reply with "Whats the matter with you, you're in a protective box". :wink:

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Know the feeling. Problem is more talking about a subject people don't care about just turns them off even more.

At work in an architects office in South-West London I'd just get a patronising attitude back whenever I suggest more people could cycle. Apparently I just didn't understand that "it just isn't practical".

Directors would work a mile away from their homes and drive to work, with a *free* parking space available, and predictably complain about traffic and get sympathy. Others would get the train and tube, have massive costs and suffer long delays, but that was OK.

I'd cycle 5 miles in all weather and be at work in an hour less than public transport would take, and be home no slower than the bus, at maybe the same cost (maintenance costs that is) that the bus would cost me, and be told it wasn't practical!

Obviously, I'd point out to them, a bike is only good for what it is good for, relatively short journeys, for a person who is either kitted out for the weather or prepared to get wet or hot, and with little able to be carried other than panniers or a backpack. Just the same as the average family car is no good for moving a houseful of furniture across a continent or carrying 20 people. Its a tool just as a bike is, and for most of my work colleagues the bike would for the distances they travelled do just as well, probably be faster and have less cost.

They could even just cycle in on the days they knew they would only be going to and from work and not have to visit sites some distance away, and would be healthier in the bargain. For my trouble I'd just get the mantra back "not practical".

Realistically, until media perception of cycling changes to seeing it as a serious transport option and as a socially sanctioned activity for the average Alpha + Beta person, cycling will remain classed as an "activity" like "walking the dog", and not be taken seriously, other than by people who already do, who will remain classed as Delta/Gamma in the pecking order hierarchy.

Oh, and you'd have to fight the corners occupied by the roads lobby and every other vested interest to whom cyclists are a threat to their profits, who have far money available than the CTC ever will.

Rant ends....
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • downfader
    I have heard reports that my work place employs 8000 members of staff (southampton hospital) and of those staff atleast 40% are within a 4 mile radius. They make £1.5m a year off the car parking from staff and vistitors, so I can see why they wont endorse cycling despite the health benefits.

Having said that I have sucessfully got two friends and a brother cycle commuting, if only for a small amount of journeys. Perhaps I should be greatful at that. :lol:

Anyway, pt2 of my sopabox... I have now sent emails to the dept for Transport and the Think Campaign on cycle issues. I wonder, could other users of this forum consider doing the same? The more we voice our opinion as a whole the more chance we stand.

In the email I have asked for a tv and magazine ad campaigns on:

-The "road tax" issue, to remind the public why we dont pay, and what its actually for
    -Awareness of cyclelanes and cyclepaths - to stop pedestrians and joggers using them
    -The issue of the Police imposing speed restrictions, which will send cyclists back to their cars
    -Basic road safety for motorists to aid cycle safety on the roads, as they did with motorcyclists.Experiencs of real cyclists to be used as they have done with smokers in the Quitting Smoking ads.
    -Highway code reminders on tv ads
    -An explanation of where cycles are allowed and why (eg not on motorways but on some dual carrageways, etc)
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    You've hit the nail on the head with the bit about the profit being made from car parking.
    It's not in the interest of Government, be it local or national, to do too much to get people out of their cars, especially onto bikes, where non of the revenue generated will go into the coffers of either Government, or the pockets of "Public Service" workers.
    Motorists are a lovely cash-cow, with taxes on the car being bought & used, parked, fuel used, maintainance and repairs and on the insurance, with only a minority of cash raised being used for any transport-related purpose.
    I'd like to bet that should the bike become (again) a major mode of transport, then some way to tax it beyond VAT would be dreamt up.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    You've hit the nail on the head with the bit about the profit being made from car parking.

I'd like to bet that should the bike become (again) a major mode of transport, then some way to tax it beyond VAT would be dreamt up.

There is, its called the constant upgrade cycle, for both required and non-required items, which coupled with fair wear and tear see's me spending what would otherwise be bus money (€37.50 p/w) on the bikes instead.

All of which I think gets hit with Duty + VAT, seeing as little if any of it would be made in the EU or where I live (Ireland), or be VAT exempt.

I personally reckon I contribute plenty to the treasury for my right to ride on the road.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    downfader wrote:
    I get a load of c**p from other people (either online or in person, it doesnt matter) whenever I tell them of the near misses, the ludicrous behaviour and anything cycle related. They all accuse me of whinging - to be honest i am, but the simple fact of the matter is that its for a reason.

My encouragement to them to try cycling is met with derision, refusal, excuses, you name it. Anything that would prove my point seems somehow to be invalid. No doubt if i mention my brother's accident tomorrow at work it'll be "Dan's off on one again!" This doesnt stop me trying to get people on bikes, if anything the more anti the person is towards cycling (for whatever reason) the more I seem to push it.

I have started to come to the realisation that we are alone as a group. When ever a driver now complains about a cut up or an overtake I'm going to reply with "Whats the matter with you, you're in a protective box". :wink:

can't you see why the reaction in the 2nd paragraph is received if you tell them what you say you do in the 1st paragraph.

YOU are putting people off cycling by telling them how dangerous it is - i'm sure that is not your intention though
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Tbh, i dont agree with this - your trying to make it an "us and them" scenario - if this was the case, we wouldnt be on the roads - the cyclist will never win vs a car.

It is true the majority of people i have met have no respect for cyclists and play down any near misses we mention.

Im in Swtzerland at the moment, and there are bikes everywhere, and ive yet to have any aggro off of cars - people give you space and they have cycle lanes which work, and go around dangerous junctions - i can only hope that the increase in UK bicycle use will lead to something akin to what they have here. The people are also noticably healthier - i dont know if its the sun, but i would like to think that a lot of it is down to the cycling people here do - i have maybe seen 2 people who i would class as "offensive to the eye" obese in the 5 weeks ive been here - one of them was on a bike - compare this to the UK...

Cyclists get a lot of stick, which i can understand - i shave my legs and wear clothing that would get me arrested for indecent exposure in any other situation. The funniest ive ever had was a fat girl at uni making fun of my shaved legs - hers looked like someone had attacked them with a bag of coins - well done, you look like a tangerine.

Sorry if i went off on a bit of a tangent, but fat people are right up there with the folk that snatched Maddy IMO.
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    but fat people are right up there with the folk that snatched Maddy IMO.

Woah there. I see you're point in fat people laughing at cycling being a bit ironic but this is a step too fat. I get it's your opinion but WOW that's a humdinger.
    Every winner has scars.
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    HungryCol wrote:
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    but fat people are right up there with the folk that snatched Maddy IMO.

Woah there. I see you're point in fat people laughing at cycling being a bit ironic but this is a step too fat. I get it's your opinion but WOW that's a humdinger.

"a step too fat" ironic typo?

Probably a bit far, didnt think it would offend, apologies
  • Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    It's not in the interest of Government, be it local or national, to do too much to get people out of their cars, especially onto bikes, where non of the revenue generated will go into the coffers of either Government, or the pockets of "Public Service" workers.
    Motorists are a lovely cash-cow, with taxes on the car being bought & used, parked, fuel used, maintainance and repairs and on the insurance, with only a minority of cash raised being used for any transport-related purpose.

Egads I actually agree with you on something! :shock:

Although I think this situation has arisen through ineptitude rather than conspiracy.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Ah-ha!
    It's all part of my masterplan, next step, Vote Conservative! :wink:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • downfader
    spen666 wrote:
    downfader wrote:

can't you see why the reaction in the 2nd paragraph is received if you tell them what you say you do in the 1st paragraph.

YOU are putting people off cycling by telling them how dangerous it is - i'm sure that is not your intention though

Ahh you're prolly right there. :shock: :oops:
  • downfader
    Ah-ha!
    It's all part of my masterplan, next step, Vote Conservative! :wink:

:oops: I already have :oops: Check out the southampton counciler Fitzgerald I think his name is :lol:
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Worse than that, can you believe that sometimes I even get strange looks by some cyclists, my customers, when I deliver one of my rental bikes ... using the actual bike? :lol: This involves riding down hill 5km (500m - sea level).

The first question is always: "how am I going to get back?"

Basically, I reckon that if some cyclists can't even understand the benefit, there's no hope I'm afraid. :(
  • downfader
    Worse than that, can you believe that sometimes I even get strange looks by some cyclists, my customers, when I deliver one of my rental bikes ... using the actual bike? :lol: This involves riding down hill 5km (500m - sea level).

The first question is always: "how am I going to get back?"

Basically, I reckon that if some cyclists can't even understand the benefit, there's no hope I'm afraid. :(

Do they get a free set of brake pads? :wink::lol:
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    When I was a kid I lived in Germany, and there were cycle lanes everywhere (this was aound 25 years ago). My family used to cycle all over the place and it was perfectly safe for a 7 year old to go out for hours on end and ride for miles and miles. We just don't seem to have the same mentality in the UK.

I appreciate that it is not easy to build cycle lanes alongside existing roads, however why is there not a policy of building a cycle lane alongside newly built roads? Where I live in Flint I have good access to a cycle lane (around 4 miles from home) that takes me to Chester without any problems, which is great (thanks to sustrans...), however at the minute there is major road development going on at the end of the M56, which is effectively being extended to within 500 yards of the cycle lane I use. Why the developers didn't think to run a cycle lane alongside the new dual carriageway is beyond me and complete backwards thinking, a cycle lane here would open up safer access to many other areas that at the minute are way off the safety radar. This is perhaps a point that should be taken forward to the government, to me it is a really simple idea, and would encourage more people to cycle greater distances.

I thank you...

Cambo

(ps, sorry to hijack the roadie forum from the mtb forum, but i've got a gtr series 4 on its way for my commute and thought i'd get a quick rant in and say hello too...)
    Yes, the MTBers do. :wink:
    Road brake pads only last about a year, at most 2! :shock:
  • downfader
    Yes, the MTBers do. :wink:
    Road brake pads only last about a year, at most 2! :shock:

:D