Sort of newbie here - my situation and what to do?

dean_ham
dean_ham Posts: 9
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
I used to be really into mountain biking when i was younger (10 years ago) and this is my current bike....

Marin Muirwoods 1999 with 3 year old mud on it lol.

dsc02176pv8.jpg

Went on my first bike ride over glyncorrwg on the weekend and i loved it, didnt realise mountain bike trails like this was just over the mountain to me, but my old worn out bike was creaking and basically can tell its time to get a new one.

This was a brilliant blike and had many laughs on it with my mates, but since coming off it and receiving 2 compound fractures 2 broken arms and 2 broken wrists i havent been on it propourly since.

But im thinkin about getting back into it now after looking through this forum. Seems a shame when im surounded by this below but dont take advantage of it...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e... ... 1&t=h&z=12

Does anyone know or recommend anything i can use to protect my arms wrists if i come off again... some sort of protection....

Also like the looks of these what would you recommend...I will be doing trails with bursts through single tracks etc nothing serrious like jumping off cliffs :)

SCOTT ASPECT 45 DISC £400

400179000XL.jpg

Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc 2008 £350

prod_3397.jpg

marin Palisades Trail 2008

marinpalisadestrail.jpg

Ideally i dont want to be spending no more than £500 ish.

Would it be best to use my bike for the end of this summer and get the 2008 models cheaper, or just get the 2009 models?

Decisions decisions

Regards

Dean

Comments

• lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    hey!

i have the aspect 45, very nice bike for the money, only things i changed are, the tyres ( to on road ones) and the pedals ( to kona jackshit) as the standard pedals were to small

frame is very nicely built, brakes are brill!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Do you want to spend £500 for bike and protection or that budget is just for the bike?
    From those three the best spec has the Marin, and it's probably the most expensive.

They all say, test first, but we here can help you make a list for testing. :D
    And read the Stickys at Buying advice.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    try the bikes out, but the scott is much better than the hardrock. The palisades has a nice frame, but poor overall value. As for protection, plenty available, look on a site like crc for many options.
  • dean_ham
    dean_ham Posts: 9
    Yes that would be roughly £500 for the bike alone....

So what you saying guys is that the Scott Aspect 45 for £400 (NEW) is good value for money.

But the Marin for £600ish is poor value for money for the components you get. But frame is good?

I have found the Palisades Trail for sale 2nd hand with little use, hopefully i can get it for £350-400. This would give me £100 maybe to spend on new forks as ive heared the suspension is rubbish.... But what about the rest of the bike??!?!? what are the hydrolic brakes like? Im rubbish at knowing if the spec is anygood as i have no idea?!?!

here is the spec for the marin

FRAME
    6061 Aluminum, Triple Butted Hydro-Edge Top and Down Tubes, Butted 4-Side Seat and Chain Stays, Disc Specific

FORK
    Marzocchi MZ Race, 100mm with Preload Adjustment and Lockout

HUBS
    Shimano, 32 Hole Disc, with Centerlock R, Shimano, 32 Hole Disc, with Centerlock F

RIMS
    WTB SX24, Double Wall, 32 Hole Disc

SHIFTERS
    Shimano Deore, 2 Way Release, 9 Speed

FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano Deore

REAR DERAILLEUR
    Shimano LX

CRANKSET
    TruVativ Five D 3.1, 44/32/22 with Alloy Outer Chainring and Power Spline

BRAKES
    Shimano M485 Hydraulic Disc

SPEC FOR THE SCOTT ASPECT 45

Frame
    "Aspect Hydroformed
    Alloy 6061
    Performance geometry
    Integrated headtube"

Forks
    "Suntour XCR
    with Lockout
    100mm travel"

Rear Derailleur
    "Shimano Alivio
    RD-M410
    24 Speed
    "

Front Derailleur
    "Shimano Acera
    FD-M310 / 31.8mm"

Shifters
    "Shimano SL-MC 40
    EZ-fire plus"

Chainset
    "Shimano
    FC-M341, black
    42x32x22 T "

Bottom Bracket
    "Shimano BB-UN 26
    Cartridge Type"

Chain
    KMC Z-72

Freewheel
    "Shimano CS-HG40-8l
    11-30T"

Headset
    Ritchey Logic OE integ.

Stem
    "Scott Comp
    JD-ST33 AS"

Handlebars
    "Scott Comp
    620mm, black
    20mm rise 8°"

Front Brake
    "Shimano BR-M485
    Hydr. Disc "

Rear Brake
    "Shimano BR-M485
    Hydr. Disc "

Brake Levers
    Shimano BL-M485

Rims
    "Rigida ZAC 19 SL
    D-Wall, blk anod."

Front Hub
    Formula CL-51-ACT

Rear Hub
    Shimano FH-RM 65-CL

Spokes
    14 G, stainless

Tyres
    "Scott OZON
    26 x 2.0
    27TPI"

Saddle
    SCT-10 SL Aspect 08

Seatpost
    "Scott Team
    HL SP-214 / 26.8mm"

Pedals
    "Wellgo
    LU-910-S"
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    the marin doesnt even have damping in the fork, atrocious for that money. I'd avoid 2nd hand unless you are sure it is a1 and fits. You'll have no warranty either.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Also consider the GT Avalanche 2.0 and Carrera Kraken. Genesis Core 10 is meant to be a cracker. Spend a little more and you can get a Carrera Fury - unbeatable spec for the money. At the £500 price point there are a whole host of great bikes. Look at the What Bike sticky.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Persoanlly I like spesh bikes but one of my neighbouer bought an Aspect 45 earlier this year and it is a nice bike especially for the money. I thas upgrade potential but the kit that comes with it ain't bad.

As for waiting a bit for 08 bikes being sold off cheap, up to last year that would have been a good strategy. However due to the rise in fuel and n=metals prices it is being widely predicted that bikes and components will be more expensive in 2009 (already happening) so )8 bikes will automatically be cheaper at their RRP than 09 models. There may still be discounting to shift excess stock but I think most people would agree that the 08 discounts will be les sthe equivalent last year.

That said I'm a firm believer in buying earlier in the year, getting hooked on riding whilst the weather is good (or at least better) rather than getting a better deal in the Autumn then hardly riding because the weather puts you off.

Hope that helps.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • xtremedash
    xtremedash Posts: 182
    Pretty much all the bikes suggested will be really good bikes. In the end, you need to decide, if you want the best spec, but on a cheaper frame, or a great frame, but cheaper spec.

The only HT around £500 that I have first hand experience of is the GT Avalanche 1.0, it's an excellent bike with a good frame and the reasonable spec. Definately worth getting to your LBS and sitting on them, see how they feel to you.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I usually stick this comment in... GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc is what I have - well it's my girls but I have to say I love riding it. £550 new, hydraulic brakes, a competant fork and wonderfull handling. It feels great to ride and I've seen a few people on here with the same bike that rate it highly too.
    You could find an '08 model going cheaper than an '09 model and I wouldn't worry about being a year behind fashion. It's only fashion really.
    Of the ones you have mentioned the Scott caught my eye the most. Hydraulic brakes, competant forks and shimano everywhere.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    These are all pretty decent bikes. I will put a good word in for the Hardrock...as that is what i have experience of.

I got the sport disc, and after two years of riding glentress and innerleithen, finally got round to needing to replace some of the stock parts. previously, I had only changed the pedals. I had wanted to upgrade the fork and drivetrain for a while, but it worked so didn't have a good enough reason (what can I say......copper wire out of pennies and all that :wink: )

Like everyone else says, try them out and choose the one that feels the best. A lot of talk about poor fork this or rubbish kit that really gets my goat.....

You do not need to have the latest XTR or X0 kit on a bike to rip trails. of course...there is a difference, the better kit does perform better, but I found the rst fork more than capable on the Glentress and Innerleithen Black XC routes (inners has some drops up to 4').

So....try not to get too caught up on the ohh that one only has a LX rear mech while that has XT, but the discs are hydro on that one but oooh.... choose the comfiest one for you and ride the blasted thing.....then, when you snap your mech off on a rock, upgrade!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.