Slipping Cleats Problem

stephenballantyne
stephenballantyne Posts: 97
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have Look Kio cleats, which attach to my cycling shoes using three screws that allow the cleat to be positioned further forward or back depending on preference.

I set the cleat to be as far forward on the shoe as possible so that it is directly under the ball of my foot. However, I've noticed that after a short period on the bike the cleat slips backwards, which makes it uncomfortable and inefficient to ride.

I screw the cleats on using washers as tightly as I can physically manage, but it doesn't seem to help. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a simple solution?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Never had this problem with Keos. What shoes are you using? My Sidis are fine with Keo cleats.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    That's odd, whereabouts are the washers that you mention?
  • MIsterGoof
    MIsterGoof Posts: 128
    I've never had problems, I'm using Specialized BG shoes
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I had a similar problem a while back. Turned out to be the shoes. They were about 2 years old and had nylon soles that were starting to reach the end of their life and were going a bit soft. In the end the plates that the cleat screws into pulled right the way through the sole. Got new shoes and the cleats are staying put.
  • I'm using brand new Specialized BG shoes, with the red (lots of float) Keo cleats (also new).

The assembly order goes shoe > cleat > washer > screw.

Is it a technique thing? I probably push down on the pedal with my foot tilted forwards rather than it being horizontal to the floor. I imagine this is what causes the cleat to move backwards up the shoe. I would expect them to be able to handle this though.

Thanks for the responses.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    when you say they are tight, you mean you cant turn them anymore tight??
    cartoon.jpg
  • when you say they are tight, you mean you cant turn them anymore tight??

I tighten the screw as hard as I phisically can, so yes. Good job I'm using washers or I'd have threaded the screws by now I think.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    crikey that is a bit mad. I don't know what else to suggest. maybe take them to a bike shop and ask what they think
    cartoon.jpg
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    Hi,

I have Look Kio cleats, which attach to my cycling shoes using three screws that allow the cleat to be positioned further forward or back depending on preference.

I set the cleat to be as far forward on the shoe as possible so that it is directly under the ball of my foot. However, I've noticed that after a short period on the bike the cleat slips backwards, which makes it uncomfortable and inefficient to ride.

I screw the cleats on using washers as tightly as I can physically manage, but it doesn't seem to help. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a simple solution?

Thanks,

Steve

Do the screws become very loose and the cleats wobble from side to side? I use Look Delta and sometimes get this problem. But it normally signifies a worn cleat.
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • 3leggeddog
    3leggeddog Posts: 150
    Some (untested) suggestions

1. Apply copydex or similar to cleat or sole and let it go off, this will provide a rubber film which will help stop slipping

2. Locktite cleat screws to prevent them loosening

3. Gently roughen contact surfaces with sand paper to increase friction

4. Tacx carbon assembly compound, it stops seat posts slipping, may be worth a go

5. try a different shoe/cleat combination