quick noob question

Peanutt
Peanutt Posts: 229
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Do the width of the handlebars have any effect on the amount of leverage on the front of the bike??

I've just changed bikes and am finding it much harder to lift the front wheel off the deck, the only main difference is that my forks are longer and have more travel, also my handlebars, although the same ones I pulled off my old ride, they're very skinny and not as wide as those I see on other bikes.

It would be nice to at least be able to lift the front of the bike over tree roots!!!
No matter where you are, that's where you've been

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    You've changed everything but the bars by the sound of it.

You've changed bike, which will handle completely differently.

What bike/fork/bars & width?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Peanutt
    it's a mongoose teocali 2006 with RST Delta HL forks, the bars are from a crappy Integra Terrain catalogue piece of junk.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    The bar width should'nt affect how easy it is to manual, it'll more likely be down to the new frame geometry.

Practice, practice, practice I'm afraid. :wink:
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    It's easier to lift and control a wider handlebar - just check out the type of bars used on trials bikes!

The size, weight, geometry and your own arm strength will all determine how much you can lift the front of the bike also though.

I'd say just keep trying! Practice makes perfect and all that.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Peanutt
    Thanks chaps, looking at the two bikes the riding position is completely different, I guess it'll take some getting used to.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Don't forget to pre-load the fork too, helps to lift the wheel.