Roadkill

Mystique
Mystique Posts: 342
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
Yuk...Had my first collision with wildlife last night when a rabbit hopped out in front of me on a quiet country lane. I was going along at 18-20 mph when it just appeared from a hedgerow. I tried to bunny hop it (stop giggling at the back...) but still caught it a fair old whack.

I went back and sadly had to finish the job as it looked badly hurt.

Still feeling a bit bad about it this morning... :(

Comments

• DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Unlucky :( At least you went back and finished the poor bugger. Better then leaving it to suffer.
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Nearly ran over a stoat this morning, it was really squealing as it ran across the road. That's the third one I've just missed recently. Was out early in the morning a few weeks ago, passed a freshly killed pine marten. Very sad to see.
    The funniest was a couple of years ago, my mate cycling behind couldn't understand why I'd braked to a stop suddenly. I'd seen a freshly killed woodcock lying in the road, so he then had to suffer the embarrassment of it's wing and bill sticking out of my jersey pocket for the rest of the ride.
    Very tasty it was too.
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    Just out of interest... how did you "finish it off" exactly ?
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Don't have to kill anything, the traffic does it for me.

The past weeks views include foxes (several ripped to pieces, one had the rear 20 feet? from the front bit), rabbits, hedgehogs, a cat, numerous birds and sadly someones dog, I think maybe a golden retriever from the looks of the remains.

Very sad.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    chuckcork wrote:
    and sadly someones dog

Don't the rest matter then?
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    On a night ride the other week I disturbed two badgers in the middle of the road, I saw the first one as it darted across the road, missed the other though and ended up kicking it in the jaw!

Luckily for both of us it was at the bottom of the pedal stroke so I didn't come off and he scuttled away, hope he's alright though.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    bill57 wrote:
    chuckcork wrote:
    and sadly someones dog

Don't the rest matter then?
    No. Only things with names matter....
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    My cat has a name.

Mrs Fenchurch is very cross with you
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Attica wrote:
    My cat has a name.

Mrs Fenchurch is very cross with you

Apologies to Mrs Fenchurch.

Hopefully when she crosses roads she'll know now to look both ways for the human powered kitty kat crunchers. And the cars and trucks too.

The other eviscerated cats I've seen could be farm cats or just as likely feral, sadly seen to many of those on country roads around Cork/Waterford to be upset about it, but I do try and avoid running into them. A loud hissing sound of the sort that scares the bejesus out of them tends to do it.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    "How did you finish it off?"

Wrung its neck, poor little bugger.