backache

gazofglos
gazofglos Posts: 21
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
hi after being a leisure mountain biker for several years this year i have got myself a road bike my problem is that after about one hour whether riding on flat or hills i get a lot of backache in the lower left side has anyone got any suggestions or exercises i could try to ease this frustrating problem :?:

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    are your legs the same length, and do you do an assymetric sport?

Generally back pain will be from over-reaching
  • gazofglos
    Hi legs are the same but i am very short only 5ft 1 and am ridig small framed bike
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd head into a bikeshop and get your posiition on the bike checked over
  • gazofglos
    thanks i have a very good bike shop near me i will go to see them
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Try a bike fitting service

Hewitts (Leyland Lancs) are best for this but there are others.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • NedKelly
    NedKelly Posts: 15
    I had exactly the same thing last year that caused me to stop cycling completely.

I went to a sports physio through my works BUPA scheme and he diagnosed a tight muscle in my pelvis, he gave me a series of excercises to do followed by short rides of 20 mins or so gradually building up.

The excercises involved some stretching and core stability and to be honest i didn't think they would do much good but a few weeks later my back was much better and is now back to normal.

If possible, go to a sports physio who will diagnose the cause and give specific excercises to suit you.
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Doing it gradually is key - build up the length of time you are on the bike - it shouldnt hurt when you are riding - stiffness and a bit of aching is normal after/during a long (long being a relativ term) ride - pain isnt.

Sounds like you could be reaching too far - going to get a fit done is a good idea - just be clear whet you want from the fit - theres no point in them giving you an ultra aggressive racing position with a big saddle to bar drop if you just want to do leisure rides where comfort is more important than aerodynamics.

your position will change over time as your body adapts to cycling, e.g you may want to remove a few spacers or flip your stem to get a lower position in the future.

I used to do a bit of yoga and do a lot of rock climbing - both help with core strength and flexibility, which are really useful to have on the bike.
  • onurbike
    onurbike Posts: 287
    parsnip hit the nail on its head perfectly. I suffered exactly the same pain when i first got a road bike, and despite taking it back to the shop twice, i was told that i would get used tothe riding position (which was rubbish). I bought a shorter adjustable stem and it was instant relief. the frame size is usually measured from the BB to the bottom of seat post, no one tells you that the reach is different between manufacturers!!
    Baby elephants are faster than some riders from.... http://www.spokesgroup.com/
  • Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 100
    Core strengthening exercises will help relieve lower back aches and pains from riding a bike
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Welcome back, Mike! Thought you were gone for good after your last banning...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    tension might also be a contributory factor. often riders using a road bike initially feel less stable after an MTB or Hybrid which could cause you to tense up a lot..IAre your knuckles going white and your hands are going numb :lol::wink: