Bianchi 928 Carbon (triple) V Focus Cayo Triple

jellikins
jellikins Posts: 153
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Can any knowledgable person give me an idea how the £1625 Bianchi will compare with a triple Cayo £999 please.

Specifically, it is a for a ride that will go over Pyranees and I have narrowed down to these 2. The Cayo is well specced, but is the Bianchi lighter and able to help me get up the mountains as well as the Cayo?

Comments

• pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    I own a Bianchi 928 C2C so can give you my experience on it and also my understanding of the Cayo (only based on reading half a dozen articles on it) as follows;

The Bianchi is an extremely comfortable ride ... the frame really soaks up the bumps and vibrations. I classify it as more of a sportive bike i.e. capable of covering big distances in comfort. Don't misunderstand me though .... it's light fast and very responsive!

My understanding of the Cayo is that it's a little more race-focussed, not so comfortable and probably not so suited to very long rides.

I hope that helps (apologies if I'm slightly biased towards the Bianchi :wink: )

It's great to be .....
  • jellikins
    thanks, any idea which one would be best suited to big climbs?

Suppose looking at weight etc?
  • jellikins
    Cayo triple is 18.7 ILB's, is that light?
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    I too am biased as I also own a 928 C2C and I would echo PJH's views. Although the Cayo looks exceedingly good value next to the Bianchi.

I am extremely pleased with mine and would recommend it.

With regards to climbing, I would say the biggest influence is the engine! :shock: The difference in bikes would be negligible. Some might disagree, but unless you are at tip top fitness levels then I would stand by that opinion. If you were at that level, then you probably wouldn't be asking the question in the first place :wink:

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I do like the look of the Bianchi.

I may even be tempted to move from my flat bar and buy a 928 CTC Triple next year.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Fit is probably the most important thing. Go down your lbs and try out a few bikes in your size.
  • schilbach
    schilbach Posts: 101
    I've got a Cayo and it's great, but if i had an extra £600 to spend I wouldn't be riding it...
  • jellikins
    really? Thats surprising.

I thought the cayo was £2000 worth of bike for £1000.

What would you but then for £1500?
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    facing exactly the same dilema between these bikes :roll: - another option is the scott cr1. have you considered it also and if so any reasons why not?

heart says bianchi as it looks so good but head thinking cayo as cheaper and gets all ther reviews. (wife still says existing claud butler but that's another story...)
  • jellikins
    agreed, similar prob.

Cayo Expert best spec, but no triple! therefore, Cayo with triple only option.

Head says Cayo has higher specs than Boinachi and prob £600 cheaper. Heart says, Bianchi!
  • NWLondoner
    jellikins wrote:
    agreed, similar prob.

Cayo Expert best spec, but no triple! therefore, Cayo with triple only option.

Head says Cayo has higher specs than Boinachi and prob £600 cheaper. Heart says, Bianchi!

Cayo expert does seem too good to be true.

Shame the Campa version only comes in a double and not a compact.
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    what did you go for in the end jellikins? was it the right call?

gone for the cayo - comes tomorrow. feel like a 14 year old with a bike catalogue and a birthday coming up :lol::lol:

hope its dry tomorrow...
  • jellikins
    not made my mind up yet!

Sales will start in next few weeks with the 09 models coming out, so thought I would hang on.

If I got the Cayo expert, how much would it cost me to get a triple put on at an LBS please anyone?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Jellikins,

When I bought my Cayo Expert I wanted the Fulcrum racing 3 wheels on the Cayo Pro I'd originally ordered (but which had been out of stock). They couldn't just switch the wheels for me (as it would invalidate the warranty apparently) - so I had to order the Racing 3 wheels separately, and Wiggle then fitted them onto the bike and sent me the Racing 5s (as specced) separately. So it cost me £350 more but I got the wheels I wanted and a spare pair of Racing 5s which I'll put on my Trek for winter use.

Anyway, in short, you may be able to buy a triple from Wiggle and have them install it so that when the bike arrives it's all ready for use. You'll also have a spare chainset boxed up and shipped to you!
  • NWLondoner
    I've noticed that wiggle seems to have a lot of the frame size's especially 58 NO LONGER AVAILABLE

What is going on with them?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    NWLondoner wrote:
    I've noticed that wiggle seems to have a lot of the frame size's especially 58 NO LONGER AVAILABLE

What is going on with them?
    End of the year/new collections coming out in the autumn. It's not just Wiggle. If you think 58 cm is bad, try 61/62..... :cry: