First upgrade??

thewhisperingone
thewhisperingone Posts: 14
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
I have a 2006 Trek 1000 SL with stock components. Great entry level bike and has served me well but at stage now where I'd like to start upgrading some of the components. Have changed to SPD pedals. Being relatively new to cycling I'm not sure where I'd begin. Have had conflicting advice about what to start with. Wheels and tyres? Chainset (Shimano Tiagra) and cassette (8 ring to 10 ring?) Brakes?
I do a lot of climbing and would really appreciate any advice on what's best :?

Comments

• willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    i would go with tyres (as many will of said, or say is your first contact point with the road), and then the wheels..... (i was suprised when i upgraded my wheels, didn't feel any difference when riding them, but when i got home from my a gentle commute, my time was 1 minute faster than my previous best time a couple weeks before when i had been hammering it, much higher average HR, but then i went from very very cheap wheels to a 340 quid odd set)

I wouldnt worry about upgrading form 8 to 10 speed, unless your using it for racing (that way you can have a wider gear ration with small steps between them), mainly becasue you would need to change shifters, cassette, chain, rear mech (chainring and front mech maybe depends on your preference with shifting, as i can tell they slightly slopy compared to a full 10 speed setup, but doesnt bother me really)

Would only bother with the chainset etc, when they wear out and then maybe look at 10 speed then? Unless of course you want something shiney for the sake of it then go buy it :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    it makes me wonder with only 6 weeks really whether you should keep the wheels you have until next spring. Stupid to say but whats the point of changing the wheels this close to the winter ????
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    As you say, great entry level bike. Once you've done all your upgrades, which will cost a lot, you'll have lots of good gear on an entry level frame. At which point, you'll go looking for a new frame - because we're all the same! Sell it, or trade in, and buy a new bike.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    daz51 wrote:
    it makes me wonder with only 6 weeks really whether you should keep the wheels you have until next spring. Stupid to say but whats the point of changing the wheels this close to the winter ????

It's only July? :?

Go with the whell and tyre upgrade, and keep the old wheels for later in the year, which is when I think winter is :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    daz51 wrote:

Go with the whell and tyre upgrade, and keep the old wheels for later in the year, which is when I think winter is :wink:

only july - exactly - summers well done mate! - getting darker at nights already - it'll be freezing before you know it!
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    gkerr4 wrote:
    daz51 wrote:

only july - exactly - summers well done mate! - getting darker at nights already - it'll be freezing before you know it!

Optimist :roll:
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. Think I'll go for the tyres and wheels even if the nights are drawing in rapidly!!! I don't see myself as a fairweather cyclist anyway. Hardy all the way!! Maybe next 'summer' I'll trade in. Cheers 8)
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    let us know what you get and how you get on :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/