Wanted: a life

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
Man another 11am start on Eurosport, there goes Sunday - no riding in the hills today (I got up too late for today's time trial), no trips to B&Q, no visits to town to get a new jacket which I really need... but I have to be here, on my sofa, watching Eurosport all day.

But it's worse. You see, I know that the full 'as live' footage won't be shown again, and when they release DVDs of the Tour they show "highlights". I like to watch the full thing, it's like a real-time travelogue of France. So here's what I do: I record the transmission to Sky+, then in the evening I watch it all again but this time recording to a DVD at the highest quality setting which means usually 5 or 6 DVDs per day...

I also record the ITV programme because it's jolly. Finally, I download the International ES transmission from torrent files floating around the net.

It's a hard slog but somebody has to do it. Have I ever watched any of these DVDs? (I started doing this in 2006.) No of course not, stupid. Well I watched landis' miracle stage a few times, also schleck's win atop Alpe D'Huez.

Bear in mind that I do this for all races shown on Eurosport and you can come to just one conclusion: I need a life. Boy o boy do I need a life.
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• SteK
    SteK Posts: 148
    At this time of year I work 6-7 days a week and generally 9-10 hours a day.

Some call the job I do 'a lifestyle'.

You could maybe abbriviate that to 'life' and we could arrange a swap?!

I'm only an hour up the M62 - I'll leave the laptop on and leave some biscuits on my desk if you stick some roasties and a chicken in the oven?!

:wink:
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I've never really understood man's desire to record everything, be it photo or video. It reminds me of the Sydney 2000 Olympics. I recorded the entire thing using BASF 5 hour tapes, and never watched any of it.

Since then, it's dawned upon me that life itself is transient. What's the point in wasting time for the sake of posterity when it means sacrificing the many "now" moments?

It's like people on Antarctic holidays. They're so busy snapping pictures, they don't live the moment... at least that's what I read in a magazine about the zoodiac whale trips. :oops:
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    agreed synchronicity - better to be a do-er than a watcher - but I do like to let my inner librarian run free quite often. In the 80s and 90s I used to record films which reckoned wouldn't be shown again in a hurry and of course I never watched any of them, now they occupy a whole wall in a spare room

it's been worth it though - David H mentioned my name twice today
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    oh god I thought at first someone was writing about me :shock:

What is a life ? i wish someone would explain it to me in simple terms giving me a good shake as they do so. Maybe I'll `get it' before its all over.

I too record the whole 5 hours of the tour to Sky+ then record the whole lot again to a DVD disk At least I do the second recording when I go up to bed. :lol:

Have I watched any of it ?.... have I heck ... but this year it will be complete ,indexed and boxed and will look splendid on the bookcase shelf along with all the former years recordings that go back to mmmmmm let me see probably 1993 :roll:

I'm sure that one day I'll be laid up with a broken leg or convalaecing and I'll say to myself I know what I'll do I'll dig out some of those recordings to watch for a month or two

I was thinking of going out for a spin on my new bike this afternoon but it looks like rain and besides the DVD's need editing and labeling....must dash

:lol::lol:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    You have taken the vital first step vermooten: you have recognised the problem. Now do something about it.

As in STOP! NOW. Life really is too short to re-live any part of it. In fact it is too short to fit in everything that you ought to do even once.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying...

get bike out your on... :wink:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...