Fitting a folding tyre, getting bead on?

GibboGT
GibboGT Posts: 287
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Just fitted a specialized crossroads armadillo elite to the rear of my bike, pumped it up and all of the bead apart from about a 6 inch section on one side seems to have set properly. The small 6 inch section seems to be too low?

I'd heard before that there was usually a popping noise as the bead "jumped" on? nothing happened when I was pumping it up.

Any help appreicated?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They can be difficult to seat properly - usually have to keep trying, inflating a little at a time and checking, manipulating the tyre by hand if it starts to go wonky.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    pump it and keep pumping until it pops then let some air out until it is the correct pressure.
  • GibboGT
    Cheers folks. will keep playing with it.

Didn't want to keep playing if it was just going to settle with time. Hopefully will get it right now.
  • GibboGT
    Cheers for the help, got to about 55 psi and it popped on.

Off out now :D 8)
  • everogere
    everogere Posts: 68
    A little fairy liquid around the rim helps to seat the tyre too.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    nice tyres those i've over 1000 miles on mine and no punctures :D hilariously bad on mud though, course they're not meant for that heh.
  • GibboGT
    I wanted something that was ok on road and ok when I decide to detour off road in the dry on my way home.

Did a little hill climbing the other day, in the dry over dirt and roots. Not great, quite slippy. But will give it another chance.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    mine are "ok" off road as long as it's not too gravely so anything off road up hill and i'm searching for clean hardpack or patches of grass for traction which is alot of what's on the trails i ride and i don't do mud so they're good for me. i might try "the captain" armadillo elite on the rear when these wear down, gonna be awile though they still look new :)