Dodgey Brake Lever?

johnnyrotten
johnnyrotten Posts: 216
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,

I bled my Juicy 3s recently, and the braking power is good (after sorting out some contamination of the discs). The back brake is perfect, but the front brake lever doesn't 'spring' back to its normal position after using it, it just sort of 'flops' back to rest, rather than positively 'springing' back. :(

I can't find any return spring inside the brake lever- I believe the lever return is through system pressure only. However, braking is very positive.

Any ideas on what's causing this?

Cheers
John

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what else did you do other than just bleed the brake? what did you dismantle?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • johnnyrotten
    After finding the problem, I removed the lever from the body to see what was in there. Nothing visible. The lever is just connected via a grub scew to the end of the brake line. I guess to the servo via a diaphragm or piston. Apart from that, nothing was dismantled. There are no leaks anywhere either.
  • Not sure how Avids are put together, but I know my Hopes lose there spring back if I overtighten the bolt holding the lever onto the reservoir/clamp bit. Have you greased or overtightened the area where the actual lever pivots?
  • johnnyrotten
    I will have a look, but the lever pivots on a pin that seems loose enough. If i loosen off the grub screw that holds the lever onto the reservoir, it adjusts the throw.

Cheers
    Johnny