My Cat

mikedobson
mikedobson Posts: 186
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
Today I rescued a dog that appeared to have been abandoned. I took it home and called the appropriate people to have it taken into kennels. While I was making a cup of tea it killed my kitten.

Karma?
Character Fully Formed - please send no more problems.

Comments

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    if you had killed the dog it would have been
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • kill it now - bad karma for the dog.

Gats
  • CraigH
    CraigH Posts: 321
    sorry about your kitten.
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Just stupidity for leaving an unknown dog with your kitten
    exercise.png
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    fto-si wrote:
    Just stupidity for leaving an unknown dog with your kitten

Wow that's harsh. Really sorry about the kitten.
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    I'm sorry thats dreadful! You do the right and decent thing and you get kicked in the teeth. I should say to the people that come and take the dog away that its killed your kitten and should perhaps be destroyed.
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Lysander wrote:
    I'm sorry thats dreadful! You do the right and decent thing and you get kicked in the teeth. I should say to the people that come and take the dog away that its killed your kitten and should perhaps be destroyed.

The vast majority of dogs and cats dont get on...FACT...so it was highly likely something like this would happen.
    If the dog should be destroyed for killing the kitten then should we destroy all the cats because they kill birds etc?? No, because its their natural instinct.

It's sad that the OP has lost the kitten but an abondoned, probably petrified dog in a strange environment with a cat spells danger.
    exercise.png
  • mikedobson
    mikedobson Posts: 186
    My point in mentioning this was the question mark after the word karma.

Any criticism of the sense or otherwise of leaving (however temporarily) the kitten alone with the dog is obliterated by the sadness of my children and my already heightened and overwhelming sense of guilt for my action.

I don't really need anyone else to point out a very obvious point. Seems a bit banal really.
    Character Fully Formed - please send no more problems.
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    As I understand it, karma is a negative response to a negative action. I think you did the right thing by taking the dog in, so I don't think karma is involved, unless you did something else bad of course!

Really sorry about your kitten :(
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Sorry about your kids kitten but cats are only any good when kittens anyway. Keep the Dog and have a proper loyal pet. One that no matter how crap your day has been will always be glad to see you when you get home :D Unless you are plagued by rodents cats are effing useless.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    If it was Karma then it must have been a consequence of something bad the kitten had done. Not sure that your Karma would have been expressed as death for the kitten.

The animal management was poor though.

If you're replacing the kitten and you want to ensure karma; chamelons make good pets. :lol::lol:

I was leaving anyway........... :oops:
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Sorry about your kids kitten but cats are only any good when kittens anyway. Keep the Dog and have a proper loyal pet. One that no matter how crap your day has been will always be glad to see you when you get home :D Unless you are plagued by rodents cats are effing useless.

You're wrong. My cats are pleased to see me when I get in and give wonderful companionship to my partner and I.

Dogs cannot be justified as pets unless you are in the country and have someone at home to be with them all day. Unfortunately in London many of the dogs I come across are maladjusted and aggressive, not trained properly and certainly not able to be with people safely. Also the owners act as if the dogs have more rights than people.

If I ruled the Uk things would change!
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    iainment wrote:
    Unfortunately in London many of the dogs I come across are maladjusted and aggressive

London's fault, I wouldn't subject a dog or person to living in London.
    iainment wrote:
    not trained properly and certainly not able to be with people safely.

Just like a lot of the people living in London then
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iainment
    iainment wrote:
    Unfortunately in London many of the dogs I come across are maladjusted and aggressive

London's fault, I wouldn't subject a dog or person to living in London.
    iainment wrote:
    not trained properly and certainly not able to be with people safely.

Just like a lot of the people living in London then

I should have said dogs in urban areas - it's true of dogs and their owners in all large urban areas.
    London is spoilt by all the non Londoners coming here to find a crock of gold.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    iainment wrote:

You're wrong. My cats are pleased to see me when I get in and give wonderful companionship to my partner and I.

Dogs cannot be justified as pets unless you are in the country and have someone at home to be with them all day. Unfortunately in London many of the dogs I come across are maladjusted and aggressive, not trained properly and certainly not able to be with people safely. Also the owners act as if the dogs have more rights than people.

I have never seen a cat come bounding over from whatever corner of the house or garden they were snoozing in to see who has just put their key in the door. Cats come to you when they are hungry, thats not companionship. They sit on your lap because its warm and soft, not because they love you.

I do agree however that a lot of folk in London have dogs they are unable to control, seeing a 16 year old with a Rottweiler makes no sense to me at all. However, a friend of mine used to breed Staffs, what wonderful dogs they are, smart, loyal and obedient. The problem is the owners, not the dogs. My friends Tibetan Terrier got him his girlfriend while walking in the park, lets see a cat top that?
  • iainment
    iainment wrote:

I have never seen a cat come bounding over from whatever corner of the house or garden they were snoozing in to see who has just put their key in the door. Cats come to you when they are hungry, thats not companionship. They sit on your lap because its warm and soft, not because they love you.

I do agree however that a lot of folk in London have dogs they are unable to control, seeing a 16 year old with a Rottweiler makes no sense to me at all. However, a friend of mine used to breed Staffs, what wonderful dogs they are, smart, loyal and obedient. The problem is the owners, not the dogs. My friends Tibetan Terrier got him his girlfriend while walking in the park, lets see a cat top that?

Isn't that illegal?

Cat people are cat people and dog people are dog people, a few are both. I can't understand why anyone would want a dog and as long as they are well trained I don't care, but too many dogs are not trained and are no better than wild animals.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • CraigH
    CraigH Posts: 321
    My cat plays fetch. She sits when i tell her to. She also plays hide and sek/tag.
  • broachboy
    broachboy Posts: 429
    mikedobson wrote:
    Today I rescued a dog that appeared to have been abandoned. I took it home and called the appropriate people to have it taken into kennels. While I was making a cup of tea it killed my kitten.

Karma?

Real sorry to hear about your kitten Mike :cry:

If it had been my cat I would have beside myself, my cat is a real good mate - will defo miss him when hes gone (hes 18yrs old now)
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    mikedobson wrote:

Karma?

sorry to hear about your kitten Mike. Life does seem to kick you in the teeth sometimes doesn't it. Not your fault really ...just bad luck. you did the right thing .

Two of my cats have been badly savaged by dogs .I don't blame the dogs because it is a natural instinct. I blame the stupid owners who can't be bothered to train their dogs or keep them under proper control . people let their dogs off loose and wonder why they run off and attack children and other animals :roll:
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    I had a strange dream about a cat and a mouse which i trained to play together,a talking cat and mouse of course, and then there was some sort of flood and thats all i remember. I think I may have eaten too much cheese last night :?
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382

Our ginger moggy will come charging into the house (she plays out in the back yards between two rows of terraces) as soon as either my girlfriend or I come home. She has food in her bowl, she just likes to see us. If only one of us is home she'll also follow us from room to room and settle down to sleep somewhere near us.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Dogs have owners.

Cats have staff.

Sorry to hear about the kitten.
  • broachboy
    broachboy wrote:
    If it had been my cat I would have beside myself, my cat is a real good mate - will defo miss him when hes gone (hes 18yrs old now)

Here he is.... The bad boy :)

S5001358Small.jpg

waiting for the sun to come out this morning
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    2120223275_309e09a4aa.jpg

My dog wouldn't hurt a fly.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • completely OT but how do you paste an image without having to link to a url somewhere???
  • peanut
    broachboy wrote:
    broachboy wrote:

S5001358Small.jpg

He's gorgeous Andy. I'm sure he'll live for many years yet.Last time I lost a cat i swore I'd never again have only one cat so I got my Peanut two rescue kittens for company. Within months one was run over outside my home :cry:
    Spoil him rotten ,while you can .I give mine prawns and beef steak and salmon :oops:
    :roll:
  • peanut
    2120223275_309e09a4aa.jpg

My dog wouldn't hurt a fly.....

Mmmm looks mighty guilty to me :wink: like he's just eaten the Sunday joint :lol:
  • broachboy
    peanut wrote:
    broachboy wrote:
    broachboy wrote:

S5001358Small.jpg

He's gorgeous Andy. I'm sure he'll live for many years yet.Last time I lost a cat i swore I'd never again have only one cat so I got my Peanut two rescue kittens for company. Within months one was run over outside my home :cry:
    Spoil him rotten ,while you can .I give mine prawns and beef steak and salmon :oops:
    :roll:

Thanks for the comments peanut, he'll love it :D I'll let him know when I get in from work tonight. I like to think I do my best for him, he doesn't go without, if you know what I mean :wink: When I moved into my first house the previous owners left him there for me, he has since moved twice with me, and we have settled in a cul-de-sac now, he loves the lack of traffic passing by, while he lies in the road sunning himself 8) :D

Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    one of my cats: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FugpBtRINhg

he has a twin brother
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Lysander wrote:
    Don't be daft! It's a kitten not a baby!. And I do love cats, should do, had enough of them over the years.