XC frames?

xtreem
xtreem Posts: 2,965
edited July 2008 in XC and Enduro
Just a few questions about XC frames.
Because no jumps are alowed on the XC bikes, can you bunny hop without
damaging the frame, are bunny hops alowed?

And, is there a risk of damaging the frame by practising wheeley and manual? :D

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I cant tell if you are taking the urine or not so im going to play nice.

XC frames are fine and they can handle 99% of the terrain that you will meet .

you can bunny hop as high a you are able and wheeleys and manuals will also be fine.

its only big drops or crashes that will troubble a well maintained xc frame.

hope that helps.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • xtreem
    hope that helps.
    Yes it helps, a lot. :D Plus I'm a light person, 9 stone, so I don't have to worry that much.
    Many thanks, Bikerbaboon :D
  • stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    I throw my carbon scale about like it's a freeride bike at times. Possibly less room for error on an XC bike than a full susser/hardcore hardtail though, so depends on ability/luck.
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    probably more risky due to the components associated with XC bikes than the frame itself. As lots of it is built for weight saving and speed rather than strength!
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Well mine holds up fine with some aggresive xc and throwing about (i come from a bmx/dirt jump background),and i'm 13stone, it all depends on your skills, you can land wrong or crash on any bike and break it, and your more likely to damage your wheels, forks, pedals, chainset/bb axle before the frame goes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My Zaskar as held up well to a few years of thrashing in my younger days... but it is a Zaskar ;-). I wouldn't want to be doing big jumps, drop offs and stunts on a sub 3lb XC frame.
  • xtreem
    No, not jumps, I know that XC frames can be damaged by that at some point,
    but my question was just manual, wheeley, pedal kicking (I'm not so sure what that means, but...). :P
    So as you guys said, is safe to do things like that., thanks. :D
    My frame 2140g (4.7lbs) , bike 13.350kg (29.5lbs)
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    My xc bike gets thrashed about. I just try to be as smooth as possible if it involves any air time.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I'm a big bloke and its been my experience that the wheels will always go first
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I'm too much of a ponse to do big jumps but I do enjoy the odd big crash - no problems so far.

Used to be a bit more hardcore on my older Stumpy - it's survived no problem. I'm a "medium weight" 12 stone.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    I'm only a lightweight (@ 10st), but its very much dependant on how you ride. For years I did jumping on an old Rockhopper frame. True the wheels went and were replaced with D521's but nowt else ever snapped. Its just more difficult to land on XC wheels as they dont like much lateral movement.

So in the case of bunnyhops, wheelies, stoppies, rear wheel hops, they are all fine so long as you land them straight and smoothly. Its when you put a lot of pressure on the wheels or in an odd place they will give out. The frame will be fine.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • xtreem
    Well as you said Chris`I and like Surf-Matt is saying, wheels to fail first.
    At the end, it's cheaper to replace the back rim and spokes than buying a new frame.

Btw a new frame like mine is 60£, new rim and spokes less than 30£. :D