A little bit of camping on my bike - advice please.

grayo59
grayo59 Posts: 722
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Monday week the family are all driving to North Devon for a few days camping with friends. But half a dozen of us want to cycle. Easy stuff and here's the plan.

Cycle to Bristol Temple Meads (10 miles)

Catch train to Taunton.

Cycle from Taunton to Porlock (35 miles)

Camp overnight

Cycle from Porlock to Croyde (40 miles) Bit hilly I know!

What do I need to take?

I thought - light tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat. Personal washing stuff, change of gear. Cutlery and crockery. Cape or waterproofs?

Sharing cooker, matches, teabags, food, and tools.

I'm not using my specialized allez, but my old half**ds alloy framed £200 3 yr old "transition" hybrid hack because although it weighs 6kg more it's got a triple and is more robust. As the mileage is low (per day) I wondered if I could get away with my 25 litre walking back pack or should I get some panniers?

It's got mountain bike mudguards - does that matter?

Ta!

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Do not use a back pack! The bike is there to carry the weight - don't be tempted to carry it on your back.

If you were intending to do more camping then I'd recommend you fitted both front and rear small/medium panniers to distribute the weight better. However as this is a short trip then medium sized rear panniers should be sufficient. I always tried to put everything (including the tent) into a pannier bag and have nothing just hanging out in the breeze and that was easy with 4 panniers (front low riders) but you should get away with 2. Can you borrow a pair?

I don't see why mudguards should be a problem. Except on one occasion we always had mudguards. The only time we left them off (to make flying the bikes/camping gear easer) it was the wettest Pyrenean tour we ever had. Served us right:) Actually, it wasn't too bad as the panniers kept most of the wet off us.

Does your route include a climb of Porlock Hill? I've only tackled it on my 500cc BSA competition sidecar outfit some years ago and it made that cough a bit. It's very steep.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Def get panniers, riding with a back pack is torture (if it is of any weight), it also makes you a bit unstable, and will give you a sweaty and aching back. If you don't buy waterproof panniers (Ortlieb are the best but unless you plan to tour they are a bit pricey for a one-off) then get some rubble sacks (heavy duty plastic sacks) from B&Q or similar to line the panniers and keep everything dry.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You may get better responses in Tour & Expedition
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 959
    ... and the thread title is a little misleading :wink:
    Buy a pink bike? :lol::lol: