How long do tyres last?

Chris5150
Chris5150 Posts: 107
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Maybe a silly question but I have no Idea. I am using Michelin sports, do about 3000 miles a year & basically put a new set on at the start of the new year.
Is that reasonable? should I change more often, or even carry on for a second year?
cheers

Comments

• System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I run mine until they either start picking up loads of punctures or I can see canvas.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    System wrote:
    I run mine until they either start picking up loads of punctures or I can see canvas.

I second that and would add that winter riding can be harsh on tyres as the wet conditions let thorns etc 'stick' to the tyre and work their way in to cause punctures. I'll be putting heavier duty tyres on my bike for the winter this year as I had a terrible time last year with tyres that can last all summer without a problem but couldn't handle the good old British winter.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Depends I think on the tyre and when the riding takes place as noted.

Examples, I tried a pair of Hutchinson tyres and got less than I would expect out of them, I just kept on getting pinch flats, I don't think they were robust enough (pressure wasn't the problem as I check at least once a week with a track pump with gauge)

Stelvio Plus by comparison OK as front tyres seem to last quite a while. My Son hub wheel that I use in winter for night riding, I haven't changed the Stelvio Plus tyre for now some 3800km of riding (up until I took the wheel off the bike in April) , and it is still looks OK. In that time I went through 3 rear tyres.

Stelvio Plus, my last rear tyre change a few weeks ago and after mostly spring/summer riding was after I think 2600km or so, when I started to get flats and on the tyre was increasingly getting holes and cuts, what with glass on the roads and crap about in general. That was pretty good going though, previously I'd only got maybe 1500km or so max out of one but that was winter riding.

I'd suggest doing an inspection of the tyres for every couple of hundred km's of riding, checking for embedded glass or flints and general damage, maybe more often if you're in an urban area, and making your decision on the basis of that.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....