realistic touring wheel weights

Tako
Tako Posts: 209
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
I have an old audax bike and l would like to do some self-supported touring whilst l still can - road, canal paths, nothing too off-road. Gears are a triple but the wheels are Mavic Open Pro's on mirage 36H hubs. I understand the max tyre size is 28mm. How much weight can this set up support? Does anyone tour on OP's. I am 12stone.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You'll be fine. I've done rough mountain tracks, fully loaded, on the MTB equivalent.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have Op's on 36 hole hubs on my Audax bike. I am probably 10kg heavier than you. I haven't toured on them but my extra 10kg would account for a good portion of your touring load. I have used the wheels for maybe 6000 miles and on all sorts of surfaces with 25mm tyres. The wheels have remained perfect and I can't remember when I last had to tweak a spoke nipple! OP's are excellent rims and make a very strong wheel in the hands of a good wheelbuilder.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Just to echo that - make sure they are well-built: the strongest rim in the world is no good if the spokes aren't properly tensioned.
  • Tako
    Tako Posts: 209
    Cheers guys! I'll test them out next weekend.
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    Tako wrote:
    I understand the max tyre size is 28mm.

As others have said, they'll be fine if well built. The 28mm maximum is a bit conservative, many people run wider, they're a popular choice for cyclo cross with 32mm tyres which should give you some idea of how strong they can be. Sheldon Brown has an article on tyre/rim widths, it says 15mm rims, which I think OPs are, are ideal for up to 32mm. Though not much use if your bike doesn't have clearance for wider.