Stem Suspension or Forks

dav_dump
dav_dump Posts: 5
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I currently have a 5yr old good quality Giant rigid MTB (no suspension), and due to slightly dodgy wrists, I feel that I need some sort of impact damping. I have been offered two options; a low end fork (RTS) or a suspension stem. I was originally just planning on using the stem as I do most riding on roads. But it is a 1" quill stem and my bike has a 1 1/8" steerer tube and this leads me to my first question,

1. Can I use like a seatpost shim to fit a 1" quill stem into a 1 1/8" threaded tube? If not then the next is irrelevant

If I can shim it, what would you recommend for my situation? I currently use my bike mainly for road commuting and some dirt tracks, and very occasionally I may want to use it fully off road. I have used this rigid bike for many years off road and its been okay, and I'm not too keen on the power that is wasted into the suspension on hill climbs etc.
So next question:

2. Is a stem suspension any good or should I just sacrifice a little efficiency (is this even significant?) on my commute and go for the front suspension?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    forget the sus stem. and forget the cheap fork.

look at a fork like the RS Tora with the turnkey lockout.

Or the air sprung version and just run the air pressure higher to lock it out ish...

in my opinion flex stems are dangerous.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dav_dump
    unfortunately im on a tight budget, and I simply cant afford any real outlay, £30-£40 is my max. which would only cover the stem and headset.
    whats your experience with flex stems, why would you say they are dangerous?
    Thanks for the reply btw.
  • nicklouse
    well flex stems came out when suspension was just been thought about and the every one stopped thinking about flex stems as, well how would you like it when eveytime you brake or move your body forward all the controls moved to.

if you are on a tight budget then a sus fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    For the amount of travel you will get from a flex stem (prob 1") its a bit pointless( and they are crap - i used to ride with jez avery when he was sponsored by proflex back in the day..it was just wrong), you can get more travel than that from your arms, id wait til you got more monies and get a decent 2nd hand pair of forks...you will get a set of suntour bobby basic ones for about £30 new..approx 60mm travel and about 6lbs in weight.
  • dav_dump
    What about using a shim? has anyone ever done it?
    Forgot to mention, I have been given the stem suspension, an RTS Fork and a suntour Fork, so I dont need to buy any gear like that, just the shim for the stem or the headset and stem for the threadless forks.
  • dav_dump
    Thanks for the replies, so I'm going to go for the fork, seeing as I've already got them i won't need to buy the actual fork, but could someone recommend the best stem and the best headset, I've seen a few of both for around £10-15, so thats my price range.
  • Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    Look on the classifieds here mate, or post a wanted ad. Loads of folk will have stems laying around, headsets maybe a little harder to come across but look at the usual CRC, Wiggle and Merlin.
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • nicklouse
    dav_dump wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, so I'm going to go for the fork, seeing as I've already got them i won't need to buy the actual fork, but could someone recommend the best stem and the best headset, I've seen a few of both for around £10-15, so thats my price range.

just give the fork and bike to the LBS and get them to sort it. give them your buget first so they dont go mad.