Colchester, the worst place for mountain biking ?

steve_d
steve_d Posts: 9
edited September 2008 in MTB rides
Hey im new to this forum and registered ages ago but completely forgot I done it :roll:

anyway I am just a kid and only recently left school. This means I cannot travel too far because obviously I cant drive yet.

In colchester (ESSEX) I know only of three places to ride.

1)the middlewick ranges - a series of fields with a tiny amount of wooded trails

2)friday woods - pretty good in comparison to the ranges but I would like to go somewhere new

3)highwoods country park - only been there once, might be alright I don't really know yet

So, has anyone ever heard of these places? Basically does anyone know of anywhere else in and around the colchester area where I can ride? My bike is pretty rubbish (specialized hardrock sport) but have been trying to save my paper round money but that isnt going too well. Have got a job at the local chippy now though so hopefully soon I will scrape together a few pounds.

Thanks for any comments,
Steve

Comments

• Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    is there a train station near you?
  • steve_d
    yes there are two station which I can get to fairly easily.
  • steve_d
    Am I right in thinking thetford forest is a good place to ride? Thats near/in Bury St Edmuds isnt it, I have seen trains going there when I was going to Ipswich?
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    Burys to far from Thetford. I'd be thinking of looking at an OS map near you and looking round the nearest stations or perhaps further away, like in Wales.
  • steve_d
    I think wales is a bit far to travel at the minute. And like I say, I dont think my bike would be up to it. Anyone got a rough idea of how much a train to Wales is likely to cost?

Thanks

steve

EDIT: So, does anyone ride in and around colchester?

Has anyone heard of a place called Chits Hill, near halstead road?
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I would have said Friday woods - ran around them far too many times whilst i was in the army there...............
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • Joe Long
    Joe Long Posts: 18
    hey
    i am in colchester to!

and its pretty bad!

but there are a few good spots, chits hill is my local.

although i have only just got back in to bikeing after a long break, and that place has been trashed buy the usual people!

however i am planing to start buliding again there soon! get there place good again!

theres a few other spots out near tollgate too,
  • steve_d
    hey joe

I have recently found Chitts hill and compared the other stuff I have seen its pretty good. How old are you joe?
    What sort of stuff you into then? dirt jumping?
    If you want a hand building stuff me and my mate would give you a hand but we would need direction as we are pretty new to mountain biking. Especially jumps as like I say these are the first ones we have found and we have only been there twice.
  • Joe Long
    Joe Long Posts: 18
    yeh chitts is allright, just badly treated, was there the other day and some idiot had smashed glass everywhere!

i am in to everything, just try and ride a bit of everything, however i am more in to my downhill, and freeride type stuff, not so much the dirt jump scene.

i am a bit of a beginer to, only got back in to after a year break, so starting again really!
    so a beginer aswell!
    oh yeh i am 18 by the way!
  • steve_d
    Joe have you ever been to highwoods country park?

I have been once but didnt really get a full exploration, it seems to be quite hilly and more of a cross country area.

What about friday woods?
    I have been there quite a lot and its alright bearing in mind I have never been out of Colchester for riding

Steve

ps Im 16 btw
  • toatly forgot about this!

highwodds is rubbish, good for a xc blast!
    but too many dog walkers!

i havent actually been to friday woods, so may cheeck that out!

ipswich has a few good places to and danbury not too far away aswell!

going to explore friday woods this sunday though!
  • Joe there is a weekly MTB ride from Thomas's bike shop every wednesday, its quite good. About 11 miles or so, a few good climbs aswell. I have only been once but let me know if you want more details.

Steve
  • also the 50-12 shop do a xc ride one night in the week.
    I've heard the eigt ash green is good for dirt jump types, when I was at college i helped build some bmx trails at hilly fields (nere the instute) not sure if they are still there and be carefull as its a gay meeting place (we didn't know that when we started!)
    Danbury common is really good for both xc and jump/freeride and not to far from you