Creaking cranks?!

robbiemagic
robbiemagic Posts: 132
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently bought a orange 5 SE, and there is a creaking noise everytime i put extra pressure on the pedals, like going up hill for example. It doesnt happen when i am freewheeling, only when pedalling. I checked to see if anything was loose and it isnt.

Someone said it could be that the rear wheel was not on tight enough but it is! Any ideas what it could be???! :)
"Second place is the first loser"
Orange Five SE
Orange P7 one

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new bike. take it back or read the how to shut up the drive train which the link can be found in the FAQ's.

pedals.cranks. bars seat post. seat, wheel..... any or all of the above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • see noisey cranks :lol:
    but also try your rear cassette had same problem on my hard tail
  • robbiemagic
    Took it back to the shop, they tried everything but the creaking noise was still there. They sent it back to Orange, and Orange have told me that they cant recreate the noise. Dont know whether this is a good thing or not though, I have spent £3k on a bike and dont know what to do now!
    Orange Five SE
    Orange P7 one
  • theman1001
    theman1001 Posts: 85
    I had the same problem (but not on an orange) I was certain it was the cranks but it was actually the pedals. I took them out and regreased the threads - put them back in and now there is no more creaking!
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    I'v had the same problem for ages! Have had the cranks off so many times dismantleing ang greasing everything i can now do it in my sleep, and ended up changing the middle ring, chain and cassette but it is still creaking. It is definately not the headset or pedals, so by process of elimination it can only be the rear hub. I have a Hope Pro 2 and used to jet wash my bike, is it possible i could have blown all the grease out? I'll try a different wheel tomorrow.
  • robbiemagic
    I will try regreasing the pedals when i get it back, thats a good shout. I have heard that a few of the Hope Pro 2 hubs have been faulty so could be that. I just want a creak free bike!
    Orange Five SE
    Orange P7 one
  • jd13m
    jd13m Posts: 2
    might be worth taking the bottom bracket out and greasing the threads?
    had this problem on my bike and a good bike mechanic spotted it straight away
  • robbiemagic
    I think the shop tried that, but still no joy. I am hoping Orange will be able to sort whatever it is :)
    Orange Five SE
    Orange P7 one
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    My proII that I bought in february had a spring crank inside of 200miles, there wasn't enought grease in them. Might be worth checking and topping it up.
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    My proII that I bought in february had a spring crank inside of 200miles, there wasn't enought grease in them. Might be worth checking and topping it up.

Nice 456 :) Do you know how to re-grease a Pro 2? Is it a diy job or is it bike shop time again?
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Before you strip it down check to make sure that it isn't the rear shock creaking where it contacts the frame. My bike had a nasty creak and I eventually tracked it down to the rear suspension mount on the frame.

Steve C
    Steve C