Viking?

diamondback are not dead
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
anyone know anything about Viking bikes? ive just bought myself a dirt cheap little thing just to get me into road riding which i will upgrade over time have i made a mistake or should it be alright?

got it from winstanleys.co.uk see http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2008

as i say i am a complete newbie and will upgrade parts over time but should it be alright?

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    The spec looks reasonable, and it has carbon forks, so not too bad.

In all honesty you 'probably' could have done better for the money, but it doesn't look half bad to me.

And at the end of the day if it fits you, and you enjoy riding it, then jobs a goodun.

Maybe see how you get on with it, and just replace parts as required - shouldn't be too much need to do this, as in all honesty road parts take a lot less of a hammering that mountain bike parts.

If you really get into it, then maybe make this a winter bike, and get something even more shiny for your summer bike 8)

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • You have been ripped off big time!

The Sora 7 speed gears were discontinued years ago, rather than upgrade over time, if you get into cycling seriously you might be better selling and putting the money towards something else.

If I were you I would have bought a half decent second hand bike which would have probably been easier to upgrade.

Sorry to pee on your parade but it is only my opinion so you can tell me to F-off if you like.

MC
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    You have been ripped off big time!

The Sora 7 speed gears were discontinued years ago, rather than upgrade over time, if you get into cycling seriously you might be better selling and putting the money towards something else.

If I were you I would have bought a half decent second hand bike which would have probably been easier to upgrade.

Sorry to pee on your parade but it is only my opinion so you can tell me to F-off if you like.

MC

Sora 7 has not been discontinued afaik, at least not for the OEM market. The price seems ok. A lot of bikes in that price range are pretty nasty. The Viking looks ok. No point upgrading it though.
  • have to say i was let down by a second hand bike i bought, the bike was alright but the seller went back on the agreement meaning i had to give it back it was £350 for a Bianchi 200 EV2 btw.