Hollowbolts- Routing Hoses Through the Steerer- How?

Super-Manual
Super-Manual Posts: 37
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
Part of work experience in a workshop, they want me to work on my bike.
Messy cables so I'm going singlespeed and routing front brake through the steerer with a hollowbolt from static.
I guess I have to obviously divorce the hose from the levers. And cut down the hose. Which means bleeding?
Dont have a clue and i doubt theyll give much help as its my "challenge".
So wondering if anybodys got a basic guide to order of stuff and tools.
Thanks itd be grand if i got it by tomorrow.
Ben
We used to live to ride, but then we gave up living. We ride

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    find the manual for your brakes and follow the info in there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • just looked through it.
    doesnt mention anything about routing through the steerer.
    how to fit and how to bleed, with some nice pretty pictures but nothing about what i want.
    anybody done this before?
    We used to live to ride, but then we gave up living. We ride
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the question you have a hollow star nut from Static" . so fit it. and follow the info on shortening the brake hose. be aware that it is most likly that only the hose will fit through the bolt, fitting will have to be fitted as per the manual after the hose has been threaded.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Might be a bit more work but car brake copper hose might be thinner to go through the hollow bolt but you'll need olives on either end of the car brake hose. Considered routing like this myself but the bleeding and fact the hose is larger than the hole in the SFN has stopped me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.