"play" in full sus frame

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
i have noticed a tiny bit of play in the frame on my golden willow, i think i have narrowed it down to the top mount for the rear shock.

how do i know if it is the reducers which need replacing or the bushing itself?

Comments

• Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    my orange 222 does that and from what i can see its the bushings that are going
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    strip it and see.

so not really frame play but shock play?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    aye,shock play is more accurate but i prefer to think of the shock as being an integral part of the frame..... :)

once stripped, will the wear be clearly visible or do i need to break out the mcrometer to decide?

which is the more normal culprit: reducers or bush?

finally, as i have had the bike less than a year, should this be a warranty issue or just fair wear and tear?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    both and you will feel it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    sorry to keep on nick, when you say ii will feel it, i am expecting to be able to feel movement between the reducers and the bushing but dont know how i will tell if the bush or the reducer is the worn part, i am assumng the bush will display wear on the internal suface, ie the surface which contacts the reducers, is this correct or is the bush likely to be worn between itself and the shock eyelet too?
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Is it a fox shock? If so you just buy the bushing kit, which contains the bushes and reducers, and replace both. Check this out....

http://www.mojo.co.uk/html(mojo)/foxbushkits.htm

Stu