Lycra shorts, do they work?

NYK
NYK Posts: 30
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
My arse is sore from riding too much. Should I give in and do the Lycra thing? If so which and what? Shorts or under-shorts? I dont want to spend a lot. Any ideas?

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    If you're not sure try some Endura Hummvee Baggy Shorts. Nice and baggy, but come with a pair of detachable 6 panel lycra shorts inside. You can still have a padded bum without feeling you should really shave your legs (which is where lycra will eventually take you :twisted: )

Steve C
    Steve C
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    NYK wrote:
    My ars* is sore from riding too much. Should I give in and do the Lycra thing? If so which and what? Shorts or under-shorts? I dont want to spend a lot. Any ideas?

Either really, depends what floats your boat but get some whatever!

I prefer bib-shorts (like built-in braces) - I find that ordinary cycling shorts or liners start working their way down eventually and when you have to keep stopping every ten minutes to hutch them up its a pain.

Get a pair with a Coolmax liner, synthetic chamois or if you're stinking rich REAL chamois. Make sure you wash them throughly after EVERY ride (and keep yourself clean for that matter too. Infected sweat rash in the nether regions is no fun at all...).
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • i can reccomend the madison pursuit shorts! come with a detachable liner and are only £30! bargain really!
    they do help with the butt ache! but then its part of you getting used to it too!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    If the humvees are too rich you can buy the singletrack shorts which again are great and around £30-£35, dhb gear on wiggle is another good brand to look at for much cheapness.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    I'd say that the singletracks are a far better short than the humvee, tougher fabric, better cut and just generally nicer, but the are £30 just for the outer, you'd have to get a padded liner as well, if that is what you were after.

Humvees come with the liner (about £20 seperately), so are a bit of a bargain if you want to try padded shorts without offending the rest of the world ;)
  • Dazzza
    Odd, i got the singletracks with liner from clive mitchell for £35 just three weeks ago. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    Bonus, you got a free liner then ;)

Was that when they were in the middle of sorting their expansion?
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I use Lycra shorts with baggys on top, I have a roadie too,...

Padded shorts are the most important thing

See my Sig! :lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    padded lycra cycling shorts hidden by some baggy stylish shorts. get them you'll be thankful!
  • toby_g
    toby_g Posts: 37
    I have the singletrack shorts, and have 2 pairs of Altura Lycra shorts. I find having 2 is good as then I can do back to back days in the saddle. Having 1 pair of lycra shorts available while the other is in the wash is very handy.
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    Singletrack baggies with altura lycras underneath for me.

jontymo
  • Dazzza
    kegs wrote:
    Bonus, you got a free liner then ;)

Was that when they were in the middle of sorting their expansion?

No they actually came inside the shorts, they had a fresh delivery, it was packed intended to be supplied with the liner.

If you don't believe me head down there tomorrow. ;)

They had then finished their expansion just a case of adding more bits to compensate for all the extra room, they even sell their humvees with liners.

Edit: lol silly twat ive got humvees not singletracks doh! :roll: :lol:
    Giant Anthem X
  • NYK
    NYK Posts: 30
    Thanks for all the input. Lots to think about but in the mean time I just bought a pair of Nike Fit cycle shorts. They have a padded area directly where you contact the saddle so seem perfect to wear underneath shorts or trousers etc. £26 so not exactly cheap but I have some Nike Fit tops I used to run in and they're v good quality and excellent at wicking away sweat and keeping you comfortable. I really want a pair of Endura singletrack trousers but at £60 they will have to wait a while unless anyone knows where to get 'em cheap?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    These http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_Earnley_Padded_Under_Shorts/5360021960/ under your baggy shorts.

Sorted.

Thats what I use anyway and they do make a nice difference, only £8 too!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I found the leg to be too tight and the back too low on those dhb earnleys, bibs all the way for me, much more comfortable.