quick trek size question ?

sibike
sibike Posts: 257
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
i want to get a bike off ebay and have seen a trek thats a 56cm frame .Im 6ft with a 33inch inside leg .Do you reckon a 56cm would be ok or should i look for a 58cm ....thanks.

Comments

• babyshambles
    babyshambles Posts: 149
    i'd advise you to go and check the bike and test. However, i'm 5'7 and have a trek 1.5 with 54" frame whch i think is comfortable.
  • jetblack
    jetblack Posts: 1
    edited July 2008
    i would think you'd need a 58 frame. I'm 5"9' and i fit a 56 cm trek frame perfectly.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Trek measure from bb centre to top of seat tube. I am 5' 10" and ride a 56cm with quite a lot of saddle pillar out. I would think you would need at least a 58. Other things to consider are top tube length and bar height. Too many spacers under the stem are not a good idea and you should look to be using a stem between 100mm and 120mm. Longer or shorter than this can affect how the bike feels and I think does not look good either.
    Definately try to test a similar bike first.
  • John.T
    Trek measure from bb centre to top of seat tube. I am 5' 10" and ride a 56cm with quite a lot of saddle pillar out. I would think you would need at least a 58. Other things to consider are top tube length and bar height. Too many spacers under the stem are not a good idea and you should look to be using a stem between 100mm and 120mm. Longer or shorter than this can affect how the bike feels and I think does not look good either.
  • John.T
  • John.T
  • John.T
  • marky2484
    marky2484 Posts: 160
    58cm I think. I'm 6'2" with a 31" inside leg ( stumpy legs, long body) my 58cm Trek fits a treat.
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d be asking my girlfriend some SERIOUS questions.....
  • datsunman
    datsunman Posts: 39
    I'm 5'11" and I've just gone for a 56cm Trek, reason being is that the 58cm was too stretched for me. Must have short arms or something. :)

Can you get a test ride beforehand?
  • sibike
    sibike Posts: 257
    thanks for the replies ,its gone out of my price range now.
  • gtr mart
    gtr mart Posts: 176
    I bought a trek and love it, so if another trek comes up them I would recomend it.

with regards to Size, you will deffo need a 58. I am similar height with a slightly shorter leg and have a 58 that fits well.