Running 9spd cassette with 8spd indexed shifters?

MilesXC
MilesXC Posts: 40
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm buying a new rear mech and cassette at the end of the month, and was contemplating getting a 9spd cassette, but as I'm currently running indexed dual controls for brakes and shifters and an 8spd cassette I was wondering whether I'd still be able to use these as a temporary measure.
I can handle losing a gear but am curious as to whether it would work at all?

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Nup....I wouldn't have thought so.

A 9speed cassette is the same width as an 8, only the space between each cog is narrower.

A 9 speed chain is narrower than an 8.

The indexing would not match.....you would always be overshifting a little.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MilesXC
    MilesXC Posts: 40
    Hmm... that was my concern.

Do you think it's worth holding out till I can afford to replace the shifters?

I'm quite comfortable riding with 8spd but am replacing my crankset too, and was under the impression that as it's quite new it would be designed with 9spd in mind.

Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so do they still run fine with an 8spd cassette.

Thanks in advance,
    Miles
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    No problems regarding the crankset, stick with the 8 speed set up, the gear rang is the same, just slightly smaller increments on the 9 speed setup.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    to sum up.

if you get a 9spd cassette you will also need to get a 9spd shifter and a chain.

the distance the rear mech moves is different between the gears for 8 and 9.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • really? oops - I've been running a 9 speed cassette with 8 speed shifter and derailleur for ages now without problems... I can access all the gears. I'm not sure what speed chain i have though :shock:
    Hardtails aren't called hardcore for no reason

Giant STP: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996804/
    Spesh Hardrock: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996822/
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    really? oops - I've been running a 9 speed cassette with 8 speed shifter and derailleur for ages now without problems... I can access all the gears. I'm not sure what speed chain i have though :shock:

No you will not be accessing all the gears. as the shifter will only position the mech at eight places.

you will fing that the first and last gears will be perfect but they get worse to the middle and then better again. and the mech will skip a gear each way.

if the chain is an 8spd it can jam between the cogs.as the distance between the cogs is less and the cogs are thinner to allow more cogs to fit in the same space.

more info here http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown