waterproof overshoes

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
anyone had any good waterproof overshoes, i have some bbb waterflex ones but i still get wet shoes and socks after a short ride in heavy rain

Comments

• justyn_c_uk
    justyn_c_uk Posts: 126
    The Endura overshoes seem to get good reviews, I have a Planet-X set and they work well too.
    Please look at my handmade cycling cufflinks
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Be wary of those endura's - very warm and waterproof - but mine rubbed on the pedal crank - and wore a hole after the first ride - they lasted one winter.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Be wary of those endura's - very warm and waterproof - but mine rubbed on the pedal crank - and wore a hole after the first ride - they lasted one winter.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    The Endura's are fairly good.

I expect mine would have lasted better if I used SPD's for my commute, but I don;t, and I have a bit of a gravelly walk from the carpark to the desk.

I started using them last July, and by December they were pretty rogered underneath, I spent a couple of hours using gaffer tape, and sewing them back together, but that didn't last too long to be honest.

They are currently still in use, and haven't actually got that much worse - one of the velcro securers on one overshoe has nearly sheared off, but to be honest even if it comes off, they are still perfectly useable.

In terms of waterproof performance, they are awesome, I have never had wet shoes/feet once, and there have been some serious downpours in that time.

I am a size 10, and ordered the large size, they a re a little bit tighter than may be ideal, though they have stretched overtime, but I wonder if that has not helped their durability.

I needed to get a ribble order over £50 earlier in the year to get the extra discount, so have bought a pair of these:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=PROAZOSH490

Haven't tried them yet, but thought that the Endura's would be dead by now, but they are still soldiering on, hope to get them through this winter, and that will probably be it.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    kingrollo wrote:

wine are fine but I only use them in the summer when it's lashing it down, in winter I break out the waterproof shoes
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Don't think it's possible to keep dry feet and socks in heavy rain - the rain will run down your shins and into the overshoes that way - the most you can hope for is to keep your feet warm.

The Northwave H2O ones are pretty good - very thin and totally windproof - just got a new pair that are very low cut so they only just about cover the sock - think I preferred to older version which came higher up your shin although they had no protection under the zip and tended to make the back of your calf sore where they rubbed.