Fowlmead near Deal

impished
impished Posts: 1,092
edited August 2008 in MTB rides
Hi,
Anybody ever ridden MTB @ Fowlmeads? They state here that they hold MTB races and they have a course, but I can't find any more detailed info on what it's like to ride.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It is awful for MTBing, completely flat, very exposed. There is a alright road loop for training, the BMX track is always closed because the surface is lethal and there are no mountains so to speak of. TBH, unless you fancy messing about on the BMX track or road cycling, avoid it like the PLAGUE
  • impished
    TBH, I was expecting that reply :wink: The fact that I've never seen anyone suggest the place even after 90 ( 8) ) pages of the XC in Kent thread!!!
    Think I'll stick to Blean & Bedgebury
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Ade, Deal sounds like Bedgebury :lol:
  • impished
    LOL :lol:
    Nice bit of 'Bedgebury bashing' there :wink:
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Lol i was Googling that place for ages earlier this week. Well, to be honest i was googling Fellmead or something similar. No wonder it didn't turn up any results :oops:

I still fancy giving it a go for some racing just to see what its like. A mate at work seems to think its OK. What have we got to lose - it might even make Russ a little more positive towards Bedgebury!!! Looks like only 4 people raced last time. Bryan May completed 5 laps. I wonder if Freddie Mercury will be racing next week :lol:

There's one on next Thursday if anyone fancies it?
  • impished
    I agree the racing might be fun. I would offer you a lift, but Bono's already asked :wink:
  • pittpony
    Lol - no worries I'll be giving Chesney Hawkes a backie anyway!

Getting to Deal is pretty easy for me as i can grab a lift or ride from work. Getting home on the other hand... It's doable on the train but takes a while. I'm still up for it if you guys fancy it though :twisted:
  • finny70
    finny70 Posts: 2
    its not all flat now, there is a 4.3k singletrack loop course through wooded area
    08 Mongoose canaan comp
  • impished
    FINNY70 wrote:
    its not all flat now, there is a 4.3k singletrack loop course through wooded area
    Any piccies? or webbies?
  • ride_whenever
    more importantly is it any good?
  • deadpool2e
    deadpool2e Posts: 625
    pittpony wrote:
    Lol - no worries I'll be giving Chesney Hawkes a backie anyway!
    quote]

OOOhh errr misses, do we need to be worried about that? :twisted:
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    You guys are nuts :lol: The last race at Fowlmead was yesterday. If you still want any info on the place just e-mail Michael from Kent-Trails, they have done all the races there this year. I would have told you but as i can't ride with them this weekend i didn't bother reading the e-mail till yesterday evening :roll:
  • It is awful for MTBing, completely flat, very exposed. There is a alright road loop for training, the BMX track is always closed because the surface is lethal and there are no mountains so to speak of. TBH, unless you fancy messing about on the BMX track or road cycling, avoid it like the PLAGUE

Can't disagree more than this. It has taken a while (opened in May 07) but the guys organising the races have been cutting new section of trails for every races and some of the trails are now waymarked. Unfortunately, the trails are not going to spring all on their own but it's getting there (I do agree, there was not much 7/8 months ago.
    As mountain bike races go, it's excellent with lots of (very) twisty singletracks. Yesterday's race was a bit more open with sections of fireroad (6.5km loop in such a small place) but the 3rd race was 100% on singletracks (5km loop and using different sections than yesterday). For such a compact place, the trails are very good and the management running the site is very open with regard to MTB and supporting us! This is also a nice base for a ride as there are lots of very good tracks around (just need to open a map and look at what's available). Just back from a 50km ride starting from Fowlmead with ~80% of it off road on singletracks. ....you must be right, just avoid like the PLAGUE ;-) There is a cafe open every Saturday and Sunday and washing facilities both for you and your bike. Just don't forget to pay your carpark to support the park.

Michael
    www.kent-trails.co.uk
    Cheers Michael, looks like another Kent venue to add to the list after-all :P
  • pittpony
    Ha ha my football match has just been cancelled, I finish work at 3, rode in this morning and my friend is driving to Deal... I love it when a plan comes together :lol:

I'll let you know how I find it :D
  • ride_whenever
    sorry michael, i visited it when it opened, and there didn't seem to be much at all, but i guess there had just not been time to do them before. It is good to hear there is something right on my doorstep(literally 5mins down the road!) I'm popping back this weekend might pop in, when are you open at the weekends and how easy are the trails to follow etc?
  • pittpony
    And the verdict is.....

Not bad, not bad. Given what there is to work with they've done a great job. Lots of singletrack but everything i found was very flat. They've done a good job of making undulations and the tracks are actually quite technical. I rode the same tracks quite a few times over so I imagine i missed a large amount of what is actually there. It was quite wet and slippery today and I imagine it gets pretty boggy in the winter.

I found some of the trails easy to follow but quite often they seemed to stop so it was a case of going down the nearest likely looking trail and hoping for the best.

Oh, and the BMX track was fun for a quick loop but not as good as the one near Herne

All in all, worth a visit but I'd like to go back with someone who knows their way around!
  • impished
    Maybe we could all go there Sunday. Unless you're all doing anything else :cry:

Oops, nearly did it again (hic) :wink: