Magura Louise 2001 brake problem info needed please!!!!!

battleroc
battleroc Posts: 43
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I have a set of Magura Louise 2001 single piston brakes on my bike and i think i need to bleed them as the lever's are about half a inch away from pulling back to the handle bars , and i have adjusted the lever screw to allow it to go more forward but still its close to pulling back

there is no stopping really on back or front wheel it's really weak. The thing i can't understand is the bads have tons of life left on them . i have not had bike long and these brakes are in good condition for age

i have looked online for a diagram to how to bleed but all i seem to find are new versions of magura brakes

picture attached:
luiseqy2.th.jpg
If you bring your bike in the bath don't forget to wash behind your gears

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Does the lever pump up?

manual from Maguras webby

http://www.magura.com/7thsenseCMS/index ... d=6617&L=1
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • battleroc
    Hi Buddy

the lever after about 4 pulls back quickly there is some pressure but not like it should be

also can pads swell up over time as i am trying to take the pads out and they wont go thru the slit in the caliper ?
  • nicklouse
    well the back plates can rust.

sounds like you need to give them a full service.

a bleed and new pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I have the same problem with the Louise' on my Cannondale, been in and out of LBS half a dozen times in the past year, he can do nowt with 'em (and he is normally very good). They seem to lose pressure for some reason and no matter how well services they are they're never up to scratch. Time to bin 'em and invest in something else I reckon.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • battleroc
    cheers for the feedback guys

i would like to upgrade the brakes but i dont have loads of £'s at the mo what with buying this bike ( also a cannondale)

i would love to take out the old pads but for the love of money can't get them out as the slit in the calliper the opposite side of where the tail of the pad is they won't come out of

also Guys whats the best thing to clean the rotars with as they feel a little greasy so sure this isn't helping at all
  • nicklouse
    isopropanol alcohol or meths.

have you looked at the manual? that i linked above?

you need to remove the inner caliper plate
  • battleroc
    Hey Nicklouse

just looked i see now how i have to take out the pad now i was doing it wrong i did have inner calliper plate off but couldnt see how i was ment to take out the pad that way

im going to try again doing it

i would take to my LBS but i don't think there that good as i brought a new bike for my girlfreind on saturday they said give us half a hour while we service it so we did

i took my bird out to cannock chase sunday which is 2 hours from me we get there and the rear disc brake dont work plus wont shift the front mech at all
    so i am bit dissapointened with the bike shop, i took back to shop they said ohh the cables have stretch from new?

plus i kind of like doing stuff myself so i have an understanding on how my bike works.....ect
  • battleroc
    Hey Guys

any idea where i can get the screw section that goes into the caliper on the Louise
    so i can bleed the brake

i have loads of syringes and tubing so i will be ok on that front.... but i don't have the screw to go in caliper to fit on end of tube

anyone no a place i could get 1 or found an alternative that fits?

Thanks
    Dan