what would happen to your body if...

hosiescott
hosiescott Posts: 77
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
you were transported to Mars, right now.
would you slowly die of heat, or would you implode with pressure....or something?.

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I saw a documentary once that accurately depicted exactly what would happen. I think your eyes bulged out of your head and you started to look like a plasticine model of Arnold Schwarzenegger! :o :shock:
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I saw a documentary once that accurately depicted exactly what would happen. I think your eyes bulged out of your head and you started to look like a plasticine model of Arnold Schwarzenegger! :o :shock:

How do you know it was an accurate depiction? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • graeme_s-2
    spen666 wrote:

Well, it started out with a dream sequence, then they said the rest of it was real. Why would they lie!? :?:
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Mars is smaller than Earth and with little atmosphere and further away from the sun.

So, on Mars you'd weigh less which is good. You'd be freezing which is bad and you couldn't breathe so you'd be dead.

Actually we've probably all felt a bit like that on the top of some mountain or other!
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    Graeme_S wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Well, it started out with a dream sequence, then they said the rest of it was real. Why would they lie!? :?:
    :lol::lol::lol:

very funny - proper wit
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Graeme_S wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

I saw the same documentary, I found their prediction of how long it would take you to suffocate while sliding down a Mountain before dying to be a bit longer than I would expect. I also found their prediction of how quickly the Alien technology would take to cover the planet in a thick layer of lovely Oxygen to be just downright ridiculous :o .
  • graeme_s-2
    I saw the same documentary, I found their prediction of how long it would take you to suffocate while sliding down a Mountain before dying to be a bit longer than I would expect. I also found their prediction of how quickly the Alien technology would take to cover the planet in a thick layer of lovely Oxygen to be just downright ridiculous :o .

I found it very reassuring that the oxygen reversed the whole eye-bulging, face-swelling symptoms.
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    :? And this has got what exactly to do with cycling? Are the ProTour trying to revive their dead horse with Tour De Mars? Or maybe Obree has finally lost it and is doing the ultimate End To End :shock:

At least you wouldn't have to worry too much about headwinds and rain :lol:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • SteK
    SteK Posts: 148
    I've seen that documentry too, Infact, it's been a life-long dream to meet the girl from the scene in the bar.

Aside from three breasted women, it's fact that Mars has the biggest mountain in the entire Solar System, which, if you could avoid the eye-bulging, would be quite a trophy to claim.

At over 88,000ft Olympus Mons stands about 14 times higher than Alp D'huez.

Quadruple chainset anyone?!
  • Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    hosiescott wrote:
    you were transported to Mars, right now.
    You'd qualify for a position in the Labour party cabinet? :wink:
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    D'ya know what's great about this forum? It's that the few women on here can actually understand what men talk about then they're down the pub on their own...

We thought it was just football, and even allowing that you boys on here do cycling instead of football, it's good to see it's not just sport...

:wink:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Feeling better now, hosie?

Have you no bikes to build or what? Dreadful thing, thinking......the gods make thoughts for idle minds!!!!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Coriander wrote:
    D'ya know what's great about this forum? It's that the few women on here can actually understand what men talk about then they're down the pub on their own...

We thought it was just football, and even allowing that you boys on here do cycling instead of football, it's good to see it's not just sport...

Good thing that they don't know what we talk about Coriander :wink:
  • Shaky
    Shaky Posts: 50
    Graeme_S wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Interesting point - however, surely what's more important is whether or not Sharon Stone playing virtual tennis should be included within the "Girls in lycra shorts" thread :twisted:
    "Take me Garth"
    "Where? I'm low on gas and you need a jacket"
  • hosiescott
    meagain wrote:
    Feeling better now, hosie?

Have you no bikes to build or what? Dreadful thing, thinking......the gods make thoughts for idle minds!!!!

now that i have a 6 week old child, i don't even think about bikes anymore, i sit at home surrounded by used nappies, insane with tiredness and random thoughts. somebody shoot me!!
  • hosiescott
    although secretly i am on the lookout for a jack taylor childs bike , anyone?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "now that i have a 6 week old child, i don't even think about bikes anymore, "

THIS phase will pass quite quickly - perhaps as little as 20-25 years.

And congratulations!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    hosie - Mini McBain now successfully potty-trained. It feels weird to go out and about without the obligatory sack full of nappies, wipes, creams etc. Make the most of it though, all too soon the little 'uns change.

As for what would happen on Mars... wouldn't the absence of pressure result in all of the air inside you exploding outwards (so you'd do a spectacular fart, your eardrums would burst, eyes would bulge out of sockets, lungs would explode etc. I think that the surface temperature is such that your blood would coagulate really quickly as well, so it might not be too messy.

Mind you, if you were transported on your bike, the 110psi tyres would probably explode as well, and that would be a real tragedy :cry:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    popette wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

I am afraid I have had the scarring of overhearing a 'ladies' conversation. To say I was shocked is not severe enough. I thought my mates and I were bad, but woah.....

From that moment on, I have avoided conversations between ladies.... they are far too graphic.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Definitely Cee!
    We once went to my friends regular Indian restaurant and the owner is always asking her when we're all coming back again. I'm sure the whole place was listening to our conversation.
    I love going out with the girls. :D
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    hosie -

As for what would happen on Mars... wouldn't the absence of pressure result in all of the air inside you exploding outwards (so you'd do a spectacular fart, your eardrums would burst, eyes would bulge out of sockets, lungs would explode etc. I think that the surface temperature is such that your blood would coagulate really quickly as well, so it might not be too messy.

quote]

Sounds like the Tourmalet last Sunday.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    popette wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

I won't tell if you don't... They'd go grey overnight. :wink: