Just starting out - training courses??

supercarl
supercarl Posts: 43
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I have noticed various courses on the internet (looking at one near Woburn at the moment) where you can go for a day - has anybody done one of these and would they recommend ? Or can you pick the info up from books / dvds / internet...?

Although I've experience in riding on the road, I haven't even gone on grass, let alone off road!!

Also, can anybody recommend any courses near Swindon?

Cheers
Carl

Comments

• Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    First what bike have you got, i would recommend just cycling around on forest tracks just to get a feel for how it preforms on different terrains.

You can get some info from the internet but training courses are good but they are expensive, I'd check out customer feedback before shelling out on them, also check what experience or qualifications their instructors have and check other places to see if their package is the best.

Hope that helps, Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • supercarl
    Cheers Yukon Lad,

I've got a Marin Hawk Hill, bought it about 4 or 5 years ago (front suspension only). It's safe to say that it hasn't really been tested yet...!
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Hi Carl,

I went for a one-to-one training day with Helen of http://www.getmountainbiking.co.uk/

Was over at Woburn Sands, not a ridiculous drive from Swindon (I live in Watchfield) but leave plenty of time if mid-week as you'll hit traffic in Bicester, Buckingham and Milton Keynes getting there for a 10am start.

Was totally worth it. One-to-one training is great as Helen can quickly move on from those bits you "get" to create more time for those you don't and you'll get much more out of it that way.

Also a group of us from this forum are starting to do regular rides now around Swindon. Have a look at (skip to the end) the Ridgeway Loop thread in the rides section of this forum. Any ability welcome, we'll always adapt ride to suit those coming.

Enjoy!
  • gingeral
    gingeral Posts: 9
    i've recently bought a book which seems pretty good, lots of good technical advice but i guess its no substitute for something like a course or indeed getting on some trails anyway, trying to remember stuff you've read about when you need it on a trail is unlikely i think..

"lets see, big drop, now, i just put the bars here and.. "

CRUNCH

:oops:

course i hadnt read the book last time haha

been looking at one of those courses myself, you'd probably want to try and do a bit first to get some basic experience. well worth sneaking a look in waterstones or something though :)
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Anyone know of a good place a bit further south for training? Hampshire/Berkshire area would be ideal. Reason of asking is I've been ridning in various forms since I was about 5yrs old (had a bmx, some old Releighs, a hardrock, 3 rockhoppers and a jump bike), but the missus has just started to ride properly in the last couple of months. Now she whoops me on the fitness front being a dancer (as she proved a week or some back as we did the Longleat Center Parcs MTB trek which was pretty good if basic), but technically she needs some help to build confidence. Now she hates taking advice from me (and I usually assume she should know it anyway as its second nature to me :oops: ) so want to get her some proper training before I start taking her to trail centres etc. We're not too far from Swinley Forrest, so plan to take her there to get her more experience, but would love it if someone had training nearby that they can recommend :D
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    I'd still recommend you make the journey to see Helen @ Woburn Sands, not that far really. And then it'll be woman to woman, one to one (stop laughing at the back) which you wife might appreciate more than some uber-fit strapping bloke.
  • supercarl
    Is it worth paying the extra for one-on-one rather than group training, seeing as I have very little off road experience?

Or would I be better going for a beginners group training, rack up some miles and then do one-on-one?
  • supercarl
    forgotrafe, thanks for the recommendation, they are a company I was looking at.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    supercarl wrote:
    forgotrafe, thanks for the recommendation, they are a company I was looking at.
    +1 - I'll look into it, thanks. Not my wife btw, dont give her ideas! Only my GF at the moment :oops:
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • try buy the fundamentals dvd, i bought it and it was a great help. see ebay prob around £10-£15
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    The courses at Woburn run by Get Mountain Biking are excellent value for money. I have done two of their (group) courses and learnt loads plus I asked about other local places to ride and the instructor told me when she was going to those places and showed me round for free during her lunch hour.
    Also the soil drains quickly there so you will always be able to ride whatever the weather!
    If you do group courses you will meet people to go out riding with to which as people often say on this forum is a great way to learn / puch your skills.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time