Just bought a proper bike!

neilco
neilco Posts: 18
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
And why did I wait so long! Have been mountain biking for a while now, but since moving to Denmark I fitted my Gary Fisher with some slicks and used it for my 29 km commute a few times a week. Bought a Focus Variado yesterday and WOW! Never had a racer before and really think I have been missing out. Now have something fast for teh commute and a few weekend rides, plus I get my Gary Fisher back for some weekend single track. Super happy!

PS - First post BTW so be kind.

Comments

• Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    Welcome & congratulations...glad you're feeling the love :lol::lol::lol:
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    8) Brilliant!

MTBs on slicks are still slow, save it fo the trails...
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • neilco
    Just done my first morning commute - I used to just train in and then ride home. Again, why did I not do this earlier? Just fantastic. 29 km in 55 minutes (at a lazy pace!) from the suburbs into the centre of the capital and such a nice way to start the day. Time wise it is just as quick as riding to the station, waiting for the train etc. So, so good.

Will say that I am lucky to live in Denmark, where all but 1 km of my commute is on excellent, dedicated cycle paths with smooth tarmac and regularly swept of debris.

The only downside? This is going to get expensive with all the new items that I 'need'!

Eight more hours and I will be back on my bike! Then we start to set some record times 8)
  • babyshambles
    babyshambles Posts: 149
    i#m glad others call road bikes "racers" :D I always say that and serious roadies look at me in a strange way!!
  • neilco
    Ahhhh... my first mistake! Guess 'racer' does sound a little old skool :?
  • Anything that gets you funny looks from "serious" cyclists (road or mountain) is good.

Welcome to Not-taking-it-seriouslyville, a suburb of Crossover City, straddling the border of the great states of MountainBiking and RoadRiding.
    John Stevenson
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    John Stevenson alienates half his readership in one fell swoop :)

(you're on the money though, John!)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Focus Variado - great choice. I have an 06 Variado Expert myself and it's been a faithful servant!
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    neilco wrote:
    And why did I wait so long! Have been mountain biking for a while now, but since moving to Denmark I fitted my Gary Fisher with some slicks and used it for my 29 km commute a few times a week. Bought a Focus Variado yesterday and WOW! Never had a racer before and really think I have been missing out. Now have something fast for teh commute and a few weekend rides, plus I get my Gary Fisher back for some weekend single track. Super happy!

PS - First post BTW so be kind.

Ahhh. Welcome aboard!!! You'll soon become bitter and twisted like the rest of us. You'll develope the skill of knowing which way the wind blows by constantly looking for smoke stacks. Your back will ache and your shoulders will grumble. You'll spend all your free time cleaning your bike in the winter... that is, when you're not nursing your tendonitis flaire ups.

The doctor will see you now :twisted:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • neilco
    So that was the first day of making the commute to work AND back - that's aout 60 km for the day and I still love my new bike. Have just finished cleaning the road dust off it! Can't cycle tomorrow, but friday is not far away...

Still amazed at the difference from my Gary Fisher - must get on the active thread asking for opinions on whether the swap from MTB to road bike is worthwhile, I'd certainly say it is...

Only downside of the round trip commute? This morning's tail wind was this afternoon's headwind, still, it's Denmark - we don't have hills so wind is the next best thing.